Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #21 
Sena Hansler

Everyone has their opinion about tank size, we'll drop it now to avoid further debate ending in bickering and argument. That being said, work with what you have, especially on a money crunch.

How does his poo look exactly? Bettas can have the long string o' poo, but when it's broken up and very much like a fine hair or thread (my female has it!) it's an internal parasite. Which then the betta MIGHT eat, but will never gain weight, and will become weak and sickly looking.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #22 
JagWired

It was stringy, with a ball of normal looking poop at the end. The rest that I cleaned out varied from normal to stringy. I'm going to see if I can pick up aquarium salt in the meantime.
JagWired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #23 
JagWired

Ok, I went into the store today looking for aquarium salt. I came out with Jungle Fungus Guard, and a thermometer. The water temp is 79 degrees at the bottom, and I found little tiny fluffy white strands hanging off of Fizz this morning, so I've now used said fungus guard.

That stuff aside, he's finally starting to open up his fins, and is ridiculously active today. =)
Old 06-22-2012, 02:55 AM   #24 
JagWired

Just got him setup in a 5 gallon, with a heater and a filter, plus a few small decorations until I can get into a store, and grab him a few live plants. =)

Also, he's doing a whole lot better than when I first got him. I'll post a picture in the morning.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #25 
Sena Hansler

Glad he is feeling better!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #26 
lelei

I am in the process of healing a sick lil rescue myself, and I have been using some Aquarium salt, and 100% water changes, and my lil Saphire, looks exactly like your lil guy..and in the begining he was a sad lil fishy, came from a lil vase no swim room and gray washed out he just kept his face in the corner even after I put him in a kritter keepr and tried to get him to eat, he had no energy..and I thought I was gonna lose him, even as of last night, but today..

whole different story..he is activley swimming, he is flaring, and he has fin rot, but I see his ventrals hanging down, and he is eating..something short of a miracle happened..and I couldnt be more pleased.. AQ salt is really working, but I do beleive he isnt quite ready for his 3 gal, cause he needs to really get good swimming, but as soon as I see that he can handle it, I beleive he will get all his color, and his full finnage that I am sure he is meant to have:)

It's true, if they don't have swim space they will forget how..and just mope and when they have the space it's amazing when they see what they can do.. I love it..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #27 
teeneythebetta

It's great to hear he's doing well! Definitely be careful when upgrading his tank, I hear of many stories of sick bettas that recover, then move to a bigger tank and act up :(

Good luck!
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #28 
lelei

I know I am scared of that,..but he came from a small vase, to a med size tupperware container, to stretch out, to the kritter keeper 1.75 gal..and I guess 3 more days, I wanna give it a try..

It's just such a beautiful thing to see them swim after being confined to such a small space, and I did this with our sammy too.. from kk..to a 3 gal, and now to his 5!! wow..that was just 2 mos ago..I can only imagine this lil guy in 2 months
Attached Images

lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #29 
JagWired

Mesh net over the top, just to keep him from hopping out.

Had him chasing my finger for the second shot. Also, he's started a bubble nest over his heater. =)

Also, tank over computer for the win.

Ooooh, and lastly, I didn't mention the recent problem he had with eating. He'd get bloated on nearly anything I fed him, regardless of how small the quantity. Since I started on the Hikari Bio-Gold, he's not had a single problem.

Last edited by JagWired; 06-25-2012 at 02:17 PM.