Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2012, 03:15 AM   #1 
ttubbs

did i get lucky???

i started a 5 female betta sorrity tankk 2 days ago and have had any pecking or fighting is this normal i dont even have many plants yet(i will be getting more) i thought that they would still fight a little and i havent seen anything at all yet
ttubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #2 
Shirleythebetta

depends on what size your tank is. if you give them enough room they may not fight as much. Just as a warning, they may not pick at eachother yet but they more than likely will eventually. Keep an eye on them for a loooonggg while still. It's usually not severe just a few missing fin chunks here and there. If you notice a girl getting too agressive cup her and float her for a few days then re-release. If she is still agressive repeat. If she is agressive after that she may need a home alone. I have a 12 gal sorority. Never had an issue with agression at first but they did bite each other a little eventually. It's their way of figuring out who is in charge. Sorority's are always a risk but they are worth it. 2 days isn't a long enough time frame for you to relax yet though so don't count yourself lucky yet. Always remember too that agressive species of animal will attact who is weaker so you could have a fish get attacked months after doing a sorority. If a fish gets ill it's probably going to be attacked.

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 05-28-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #3 
Shirleythebetta

p.s. definatly get more plants if you feel it isn't enough. The theory is if you look through the tank you shouldn't be able to see the other side in any way you look.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #4 
ttubbs

i am definitly gonna get more plants and i have a 20 gallon i wwonder if the fight whos gonna come out in charge
Old 05-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #5 
Cattitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttubbs View Post
i am definitly gonna get more plants and i have a 20 gallon i wwonder if the fight whos gonna come out in charge
I have observed in my tank that "who's in charge" can change, as they can gang up on each other, or a picked-on fish will suddenly decide to stand up to their aggressor. I think you will find their little battles very entertaining to watch.

Also, they change colour right before your eyes, depending on whether they are being chased (horizontal stress lines) or standing up to another who is trying to bully them (very deep and brilliant colour/flaring, vertical bars) or if they are the one in charge (also deep colours).

Here's a pic of my tank. I have a mix of live, silk and plastic plants. I hope to switch to 100% live as all my live plants get bigger/fill out. All my plants are beginner/low light plants.

Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #6 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattitude View Post
I have observed in my tank that "who's in charge" can change, as they can gang up on each other, or a picked-on fish will suddenly decide to stand up to their aggressor. I think you will find their little battles very entertaining to watch.
Thanks for adding that I forgot about that point. In my tank it shifts between two of my bigger girls.

Also to the OP, in a 20 you could add a few more females in there if you only have betta's or a few bottom dwellers. Usually the more the better Mine is a 20 long I have 12 but I wouldn't recommend that to someone just getting used to a sorority. You can take it up to seven or eight if you are comfortable. You have to cup your other girls and rearange the tank then float them all together so it's a new environment. If you keep watching your girls you will learn thier personality's pretty quickly and the top lady will become clear.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #7 
ttubbs

i really wanna get either an oto or pleco which one do u guys think is better and how many should i get
Old 05-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #8 
Shirleythebetta

For a 20 you could do oto's I would stay away from Pleco's. I am not a fan. You could think you are buying a bristlenose which gets to about four inches and end up with a common pleco which gets about 14-20 inches. I do believe even the bristlenose needs bigger than a 20 because they are major algae eaters. They have a huge bioload to which will be bad for everyone in the tank. Also, I have seen them in a petstore latched to other fish.
When your tank is well established (algae). I would get about four oto's maybe 6? you have to be careful with them. They look almost exactly like chinese algae eaters when they are babies. Only difference is oto's get about 2 inches and chinese algae eaters get way bigger and WILL eat your betta's. Oto's are sensitive to water conditions and it is common for them to die in the first month you own them if your tank isn't well established. Try posting that question in the compatability section since others are way more knowledgable about oto's than I am.

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 05-30-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #9 
ttubbs

so if i get 4 otos will that be all i can have in my tank?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:34 AM   #10 
Shirleythebetta

I am not really sure. I would post it in compatability to get a better idea. I think you could do 4-6 in a 20 but you know how this site works. Everyone has an opinion. I just don't feel comfortable telling you to go ahead with that amount since I am not really sure. I do know you have to be careful how many because they eat algae like crazy. Plus they are schooling or shoaling fish I can't remember which, so they need more than three. Most recommend a minimum of six I think but I don't see a problem with four. That is just one opinion though. I would post the other thread though so you can catch any info I missed.