Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #1 
Tazo

Fin tears healing overnight?

Is it normal for extremely minor fin damage to heal overnight? I noticed yesterday that Indy had torn his caudal fin in two places and his dorsal in one. The damage was EXTREMELY minor, but I took the filter out of his tank and added a little more conditioner to help his slime coat.
I'm pretty sure he tore it on the filter baffle, to be honest. It's a water bottle baffle... and he was like obsessed with trying to get /inside/ the cuff part. Since I took it our he seems a lot happier to swim around his whole tank and he's had no new fin damage.
This morning I woke up and looked at his fins - and the rips in his anal fin are /completely/ gone. He still has a slight tear in his dorsal, and his anal is still a little roughed up like it was when we got him two days ago.
I know I didn't imagine the rips in his caudal o-O, I have pictures of it on my camera because I wanted a reference in case they got worse.
Is it normal for minor fin damage to heal so quickly? He's a very very young betta, 4-6 months old at a guess, so that might have something to do with it. But I was still pretty dumbfounded when I looked at his fins this morning. It seriously looks like nothing ever happened...
Tazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #2 
Sheldon31

With the right treatment tears and holes can repair very quickly. Ky had some nasty holes in his tail from tail biting and his repaired within 2 weeks with ial and raising the temp. I'm sure it's possible for very minor damage to repair in a short amount of time given proper care :)
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote