Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #1 
shadowpony

Betta Posioned by Plastic.

So I found a nail bucket. It was 2.7 gallons, it was made of "food safe" plastic, and it was watertight. I added plants and a heater. After about a week, I noticed Alexander the betta was lethargic and reathing about 4 times a miunet.Sometimes, he twitched and swam in a circle. In other words, he was close to death. I rushed to walmart and bought him a new 5 gallon glass tank, set it up, added 1 gallon of dechloronated water, and put Alexadner it (after stupidly dropping him in the sink). He's not doing so well. He tried to eat one pellet, but he spat it out like it tasted horrible (he's eaten these pellets all his life). The tank is not heated ATM, but only because its not full. He has finrot (he came to me with it) and so i will be adding AQ after this post. How can I help the little guy?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the tank isnt full so he can breathe easily.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #2 
Bladezero

Clean warm water and nothing stressful, also try treating him to a blood worm might eat that.. Tastier for them :P

The AQ salt may cure the finrot but if its a very slow progressing one give him a day or two to relax before you start the treatment..
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #3 
Laki

give him the heater. It will help him feel comfortable. The thermostat in the heater will warm the water to what it needs to be without scorching him - just keep an eye on it! If it's a heater 10W and under it's safe in 1g. If it's 25w set it to the lowest setting.

Good luck! Once the heater warms the water, put plastic wrap over the tank to create a humid environment it will make it easier for him to breathe. Since a 5g seems excessive and he's not swimming, you can float him in a small cup with the plastic around the top (punch 2 small holes) and let the cup float in the heated tank so he's warm.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #4 
shadowpony

Thank you! He started to get more active, so I filled the tank up. I started the filter, and he started to swim, and ALMOST flared. *squeals* he just might make it. Also added heater. The lil' guy is on the road to recovery, I hope.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #5 
shadowpony

Well he too a turn for the worse today. He has some weird band around his body, just behind his gills. It looks like someone wrapped an opaque piece of plastic around him. Fungus? Will post pics one we take my grandmother to the doctor.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #6 
shadowpony

I came home to a dead fish. He was facedown in a plant. His gills weren't moving. I tried to get him out of the plant; I really hoped he was just stuck. He was gone. I buried him outside, in the rain. I'll be posting a memorial. Thats it, I'm officially an idiot. I killed my fish.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #7 
Bladezero

Sorry for your loss :\
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #8 
bahamut285

A nail bucket? I don't think this is the fault of the plastic. If it was a nail bucket it may have been heavy metal poisoning from the Iron Oxides.

I'm sorry for your loss. You're not an idiot, you didn't know. I hope this doesn't discourage you from betta keeping :/
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Oh, no! I'm sorry for your loss.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #10 
littlegreen

I'm sorry for your loss. If nothing else, this is a lesson learned. At least he was cared for by someone who really loved him, and had his best interests at heart, and was willing to do whatever they could to help him! That's more than a lot of bettas get. I'm sure that when (if? I'm not sure of your plans) you get another betta, he'll thrive in the 5 gallon that you now have. : )
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote