Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #1 
ao
TFK Moderator

Whats a good divided tank around 2 gallons?

I just brought home a baby boy today :D (atleast I think its a boy) I placed him next to my baby girl and he's been showing off what pitiful unnage he has (as compared to grown bettas) whilst my girl has been trying to bite his head off through two layers of tank wall :D They're awesomely cute.

When I move out in a couple of months I want to get them a divided tank (planted as I usually do) I want it to look good, be able to accomodate a nice heater etcetc. I know theres many out there. and if possible I would like to use atleast an airstone for a gentle water flow to keep oxygen levels up and the entire tank healthy :)

Edit: heres the new baby boy :D more like a juvie... hoping it will atleast be a delta tail :P HM? fingers crossed

So anyone had an awesomely great experience with a not so large divided tank that is currently out on the market?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #2 
lvandert

I would suggest diving a ten gallon, maybe a 5 gallon (lots of water changes). For two bettas you need a lot of room and splitting a two gallon is a bad idea. especially if you have a baby betta. Those guys require special care and TONS of water changes.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #3 
registereduser

That is one cute fish!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
I would suggest diving a ten gallon, maybe a 5 gallon (lots of water changes). For two bettas you need a lot of room and splitting a two gallon is a bad idea. especially if you have a baby betta. Those guys require special care and TONS of water changes.
not now :) later lol when theyre bigger. I cant have another bigger tank because of space (and human) issues (
Old 05-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #5 
lvandert

I still wouldn't recommend anything under a ten for two grown bettas. Even when people only have one betta in a 5 gallon we don't generally recommend another fish. Once again you can do it with a 5 gallon but it'll require lots of water changes to keep the ammonia down.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #6 
littlegreen

Just a warning, you probably don't want to have a divided tank with a male and a female in it. Also, 2 gallons is too small for two fish. You want AT LEAST 10 gallons. Back to having a male and a female, the hormones excreted in the water might cause the female to become eggbound, and she could die. It's not super common, but it's still something to think about! : )
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #7 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreen View Post
Just a warning, you probably don't want to have a divided tank with a male and a female in it. Also, 2 gallons is too small for two fish. You want AT LEAST 10 gallons. Back to having a male and a female, the hormones excreted in the water might cause the female to become eggbound, and she could die. It's not super common, but it's still something to think about! : )
+1 forgot it was a male and female. Yeah definite no-no. You'll need them in two separate tanks. Also even having them side by side can cause issues with becoming egg bound. I know its a nice thought to have a girl next door but it can cause lots of issues.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #8 
a123andpoof

Male and female in a divided tank can work. i have a 10 gallon divided tank with males and females. I would reccomend a 10 gallon like above people. Thats really the smallest you should divide. I heard egg binding is not a common issue and you don't need to worry about it to much.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

Ok, I guess I'll have to consider housing them separately in a 1 gallon then :( maybe 1.5 gallons each max. Im good with water changes. usually 100% every day unless im busy or super tired.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #10 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreen View Post

This.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote