Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #1 
flagirl

Fin Rot or Tear?

I am new to the Betta world, and am in need of advice. I've had my boy for a week now, he was in a 1 gallon, but now is in a 3.5 gallon with a filter. His color seems to be coming in (he was very pale when I got him from the store) but I noticed he has a rip in his fin, worried it may be fin rot. I just moved him into his new 3.5 gallon two days ago and he's definitely enjoying the room (swimming all over the place).

The two pics are:
1. of him yesterday
2. of him today

Does fin rot happen this fast/over night? Or could he have caught his fin on something in the tank while swimming?
Attached Images

flagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #2 
flagirl

*forgot to attach the following:

Housing
What size is your tank? 3.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 79 F
Does your tank have a filter? yes, mini might filter, baffled with a sponge
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? doesn't seem to need it, room temp stays at 76/77
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? n/a

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? alternate between pellets and frozen blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day -morning and evening

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% weekly, 100%biweekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? more color, but rip in fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? way more active in bigger tank, swims back and forth
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? n/a
Does your fish have any history of being ill?n/a, this is my first one
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Old 05-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #3 
Luimeril

looks like a tear, but it has black edges, so maybe he ripped it, and infection is catching hold... up his water changes a bit and just keep it clean. :B if you wanna, add a little AQ salt with the next water change to keep it clean. :V
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #4 
flagirl

Will do! Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Hi, and Welcome to the Amazing World of Betta Fish!!! :)
He might be Tail-Biting if the Mark looks like a C.
Are there any Plastic Plants in your Tank? Or Sharp Surfaces? Tearing is mostly caused by this. Fin Rot might make a Dark Outline where Fins used to be. To help Regrowth, Very Clean Water and 78F-80F would do the Trick.
I don't think Fin Rot can happen this Fast.
Is your Tank the "Top Fin Aquascene 180"? You know the 3.5 Gallon Kit with Filter? The Shape of the Tank is the Shape of a Half Circle? I have that Tank. I don't use the Filter. I didn't use a sponge, though.
It's also close to Impossible to Cycle if you want to. Removing the Filter will also give off Extra Space for your Betta. He's a Delta, correct? He looks like one. He's very Pretty. He's kinda the Delta Version of my Crowntail.
Anyways, Good Luck with Him!!!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #6 
flagirl

Thanks for the welcome!
Yes that's the tank I have! And yes the filter is very strong! I was surprised it came with the tank, considering the size/power ratio. I attached a sponge to the outflow with a rubber band, and that seemed to do the trick. Could he be biting because of stress? Do they get stressed from space? Or possibly it's the filter. I am interested in taking it out, how do you maintain your tank?

Yes he's a delta (I believe), and I know he'd love to hear that compliment (his personality is coming out more and more and he's turning out to be a real ham)!
Old 05-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #7 
flagirl

Oh I forgot: I have silk plants in the tank. But I believe I may have found something that he could've torn it on. One of the plants has a wire in the center, I think he may have caught it on that in the corner of the tank - I will be removing it asap.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Betta Fish may bite because of Stress. For Stress of Space, yes some people claim that their Betta will Fin-Bite because of Big Spaces. I'm not sure if this is true, though. I'm also not sure if it's because of Small Spaces, though. But, I don't think this is about your Tank. My Betta is fine with this Tank. Which is the same Tank that I have as you. If you think that the Filter is too strong, you can take it out. I took mine out. The Pros are, is that there is Little Movement, More Space for Swimming, Easier Swimming. But the Cons are more Water Changes and if you have High-Protein Foods, there might be this Film on the Surface of the Water. It looks like the Surface Water just got a little Cloudy. It's Harmless. But too much that can cover the Surface, the Betta might have trouble breathing. To get rid of it, You could just put a Paper Towel on the Surface, let it get Soaked, and most of it will be Gone. Hope that I've Helped you!!! ;P
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #9 
Silverfang

I'd say that is a tear, follow Luim's advice. Clean water, possibly sat to battle what appears to be a touch of rot. 1/tsp gal of aq salt, daily water changes. Discontinue salt treatment after 10 days.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #10 
flagirl

Thanks guys! I gave him a salt bath yesterday, and put him in a fresh clean 1 gallon while I cleaned his 3.5 gallon. He's back home today with clean water, and he already has what looks like new fin growth in the part that tore (it looks like clear webbing, so I'm assuming new growth?).
I think I may do a couple more salt baths, just to be safe (good idea?).
Thank you for all your help!

Lebron: Thank you for the tip on taking care of the film on the surface! That info will definitely come in handy!