Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #1 
iversotl

Sudden Sickness in Betta (pics)

Hi everyone.

A week ago I had a loach pass away, but I presumed that was from lack of food. I wasn't feeding them nearly as much as they needed. He had no physical injuries and never swam strangely.

Yesterday I had a rasbora finally pass away. We named it gimpy because it always swam funny and was picked on by the others. But yesterday it had a slightly curved spine. I took it out and it died a few hours later. It had no wounds or spots on it's flesh.

Now today my betta has a giant spot on his side that's rather huge for just appearing. It looks like a fungus but with the other deaths im not sure. He still wants to eat, but can't use that fin so he doesn't like to swim much. I plan to set up a quarantine tank for him shortly.

My ammonia levels are between 0 and .25ppm so I'm going to do a large water change to get those levels down.

In the meantime, any ideas of what would cause this and what it means for my remaining schools of rasboras and loaches? And my shrimp too... Everyone is doing well at the moment. There is nothing strange in my aquarium.

Also, for treatment for the betta I have aquarium salt and also a jungle brand antibacteria/antifungal tablet treatment. I will be going to the pet store regardless today, so I would be able to pick up something else if need be.

Tank details:
38 gallon tank with sand and gravel substrate, driftwood, some dwarf hair grass, wisteria, java fern, and watersprite. There are 7 loaches and 10 rasboras, as well as maybe 7 ghost shrimp. The temp is at 78degrees. I have an Aquaclear 50 running.

Thank you for any help!
Attached Images

iversotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #2 
iversotl

Also, to answer the questions as posted by an admin.

Housing
What size is your tank? 38 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Aquaclear 50
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes however is only on for a few hours a day.
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 10 rasboras, 7 kuhli loaches, 7(ish) ghost shrimp

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Flakes, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day with flakes or blood worms, one day a week of no feeding, usually sunday.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly,
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Est. 15%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator (prime)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: between 0 and .25 ppm
Nitrite: Unk. Will test shortly.
Nitrate: Unk.
pH: 6.5 (Yes, a bit low, but it stays at that ph constantly.)
Hardness: unk
Alkalinity: unk

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A sudden white patch.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, just lays in his corner. However, will still eat and come out for food.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just this morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, nothing yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No. Always has been healthy.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for a few months now. He seems older, but ... who knows?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #3 
iversotl

I don't mean to keep pestering people but he just started cruising around his tank like normal. He does his daily patrol most of the afternoon, and then rests in the evening. However he did a few laps around then went back to rest.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #4 
Bladezero

Time to get the big guns, you need the strongest anti fungle, and anti gram negative bacteria antibiotics you can get. Start the treatment days ago.

No offense, just you already got slim chances so hurry as much as you can.

Oh yea, looks like Finrot or a fungle fin melt (both reached the body and its really really bad), and the fungus part is just to be sure..
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #5 
iversotl

Thanks bladezero.

It literally came on over night. That before picture was taken two or three days ago. I was told by a friend to get Pimafix and stress coat. Which I got on my way to an appointment. Started dosing the Pimafix, and put in some stress coat.

Is there something better I should be using?
Old 05-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #6 
Bladezero

yea don't use that(Pimafix, melafix), it is bad for his labyrinth.

about treatment, copied this from the sticky:

Advanced Fin and Tail rot
•Symptoms: Fins and or tail start rotting away, usually starting from the edge, but sometimes it starts at the base of the fin (especially dorsal) and attacks the body directly. Diseases progresses rapidly as the tissues are being eaten away. Once fins have been consumed, rot will proceed onto the body. At this stage the disease is hard to reverse although the betta might continue to live for months if treated properly. If not treated, it will die promptly.
•Treatment: If the rot has advanced onto the body, skip conservative treatment. Do 100% daily water changes. Use a combination of Fungus Eliminator and Tetracycline. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth. It may take up to 4 weeks to work, so don’t give up.

Last edited by Bladezero; 05-29-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #7 
iversotl

Thanks for the info. I read up a bit more on the pimafix, and if I keep the aerator on and watch for an excess of bubbles I should be fine for now.
Also, I might not be able to get to a pet store for the next couple of days. Tomorrow would be my only possible day, so I'll try to, but if not, will the pimafix really cause that much more damage?

Where might I get Tetracycline and the fungus eliminator? Are there certain meds that contain tetracycline?

Last edited by iversotl; 05-29-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #8 
iversotl

Bumping with another question.

I've been reading up on fin rot, and everyone seems to say that in an advanced stage it had to have been going on for a long time before being noticed. But I didn't see anything like this when I fed him yesterday. He was active as usual yesterday.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #9 
Silverfang

I don't think it is rot.. but I'm not sure what it is. It looks like it might be slime coat possibly, does it look fuzzy? The picture doesn't appear very fuzzy but just double checking to make sure.

I'll refer an expert
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #10 
iversotl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I don't think it is rot.. but I'm not sure what it is. It looks like it might be slime coat possibly, does it look fuzzy? The picture doesn't appear very fuzzy but just double checking to make sure.

I'll refer an expert

It's not fuzzy on that side of his body, but directly on the other side there are two small fuzzy patches. I'll go take more pictures right now, as it's progressed since the OP.

Tags
lethargy, white patch