Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #11 
Sheldon31

I have 4 months worth of algae on my tank that my new Bristlenose is very slowely making his way through. Cucumber and zucchini is popular in the plecs world. Bristlenoses can live decades with the right care and diet is important for them, driftwood is pretty important as its believed to add fibre into the diet because they constantly eat (and poop for that matter so watch params.)
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #12 
djembekah

my bronze cories like to hide behind my driftwood, but they appear to be doing well. i've got a couple months worth of algae in my tank. mom was washing windows the other day, then was like "oh i'll clean her fish tank to be nice." then she cleaned, and realized it was inside the tank x3 hopefully a pleco will do well on that. my snails have been climbing the sides again recently, but two tiny baby rabbit snails can't do a lot, and one big adult rabbit snail kind of has a big bulky shell. she's a good climber though. still cant wait for plecooo!
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #13 
Sheldon31

Plecos do a pretty good job at it. Depending on size of tank and how many they have. I baught whickers some cucumber today for a treat.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #14 
xShainax

How can I grow algae?
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #15 
djembekah

i think plants encourage it. and my mom thought maybe it was the algae wafers in there that really set it off. idk. but hopefully tomorrow i can bring a cutie home :3
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #16 
xShainax

Well, I have a cup of water on my window sill. Maybe I can get an algae culture growing and transfer it?
Old 05-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #17 
dlambert

i have a 2 inch albino bristlenose.. he's my favorite.. :) he is with a young jewel cichlid pair and some tiger barbs and i can not be sneaky enough to get a wafer in there for him without the jewels finding it and dragging it into their lair(havent tried a cucumber recently, he might have a better chance).. he has an enormous piece of wood and quickly dispatches any algae that apears.. i really havent fed him since i got him a few months ago, they are just good at doing what they do :) i'm sure it wouldn't be hard to transplant some algae (via algae covered items from a healthy tank) into your tank if u wanted to, but it has potential to be a nuisance.. i would say as long as u have wood and he's getting algae wafers, dont bother going out of your way to introduce algae.. it will most likely appear anyway and your new buddy be on top of it when it does.
dlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #18 
xShainax

Lol, my main tank doesn't have any algae.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #19 
dlambert

i meant from your LFS or a friend's tank that had algae.. i transplanted 2 shells and a rock from my first tank that had algae on the them but pleco came with them and keeps them clean.. i dont think its ever gone he just keeps the lawn mowed short... now my first tank only has a snail to clean and the algae is going wild.
dlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #20 
xShainax

I guess the plant I got a few months ago didn't have algae. :(