Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Don't sell her

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Get tank Divider so that I only have to take care of one tank

Votes: 5 41.7%

Thinking about selling betta.....need some input

3K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  lillyandquigly 
#1 ·
SO I'm Thinking I might sell Cheng so that I have more time for Fhil, but i'm not sure....

#2 ·
How much time do you really need to spend with these fish? If it is a case of water changes due to small tanks, then I suggest you upgrade into a large cycled, divided, tank. It is irresponsible to buy an animal then get rid of it because it become inconvenient, in my opinion.

#4 ·
you cant get a divider for a male and female. you'll need separate tanks. As for selling her it probably wont work. From what I can pick up you've had her for a while. No breeder is going to want an older girl. For a pet you'd have to find the right person and then they will have to be willing to pay your price for her. I don't know where you planned on selling her but it is pretty irresponsible just to get rid of her because she doesn't fit into your tank anymore .

#8 ·
ok thanks yeah I think I'll just keep her, and I wasn't meaning getting rid of her because she was an inconvenience, I was thinking of it because of a thingamagig, but then I changed my mind. I was thinking that because i didn't know if I had another tank for her, but it turns out I do so yeah

#12 ·
But that is just it... when you ask for opinions on an open forum, that is what you are going to get, whether you like them or not. I don't see where anyone is harassing you or giving you any reason to leave. You made mistakes, because you are only human. We all make mistakes. What matters is that we learn from those mistakes and change for the better.

I think you should stay and learn, so you can provide the best home you can for the critters in your care. Selling one of your Bettas is a decision that is entirely up to you. Sometimes the best option for the pet and caregiver is to find a more appropriate home. Make sure to screen any potential new home thoroughly, if you choose to go that route.

#13 ·
I'm actual very thankful for this forum. I've learned a lot of new things about fish that I would have never known before, and I'm sure Buddha is going to live a lot longer because of it.

I do believe that it matters on one's personal reaction to the knowledge given to them that makes a site terrible or not. In your eyes, you see the site as a bunch of users who are harrassing you, but for most other people (almost 100% of the people I see from browsing the forums) love this site because of the knowledge it gives you. :)

I think it might be best to just understand that everyone is just telling you to do what is best to do, both morally/ethically and for what is right for the fish. ^^

#14 ·
I'm not trying to be mean. It's the truth. When You replied to me "your wrong", on the other thread, I honestly found you were being very rude but I really just wanted to help. I'm just trying to get you an honest answer to your specific situation. You can't divide a tank between your girl and guy. You could have another egg bound girl, which you've already dealt with once and I didn't want it to happen again. I'm sorry if I seem rude right back but its the truth. Certain pieces of information just can't be ignored. You'll get the wrong solution to your answer. Yes you can divide them but you'll risk egg bounding the girl.

#18 ·
Like I said before, no one is trying to be mean. Most people here just want what's best for the fish and that's why they can come off as sounding rude. They really are looking out for the best interest of the fish. I agree with LionCalie. You should stay and learn. We're here to share knowledge and experience with each other.

#20 ·
I'm sorry! There are a few people that are like that on here. Don't leave because of that one person. There are many more who care for you and your fishies. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and a lot of people on here will tell you that. you can't be too annoying when it comes to your fish. Their your babies :)

#21 ·
I know! Fhil used to be my sisters but she sorta lost interest and since I wanted a betta she gave himto me. But before she did she had him in a tin y jar because she thought it was ok, but everyday I would check up on him and now he has his own big tank and whenever I walk by he'll rush up to the glass and look at me expectantly(he thinks he's a bottomless pit)

#28 ·
If you get bloodworms remember not to feed your fish more than one once per week--its easy for them to become bloated/constipated from freeze dried bloodworms.

#29 ·
Hmmm I guess Buddha was just odd then. Bloodwormd were his main diet when I didn't have anything else he'd eat. No bloat or constipation haha.
Funny little fish

#31 ·
it's ok lily, most likely they are just concern about your fishies, after all this is a betta fish forum :) Maybe they didn't consider the fact that you might be offended, I don't think anyone was out to intentionally hurt you :D Most likely they were afraid for the girl and that she might get egg bound or experience harsh effects from girly and guy(ly?) hormones running wild in the water.

I'll apologize for them for upsetting you, please don't feel bad!

I wish you all the best with your fish :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.