Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #1 
dbrooke1

Unhappy Internal Parasite Help Please!

Hi everyone,
I am a first time owner of a beta fish named Fantasia who is living in a one gallon fish bowl. One day my little guy began swimming around really rapidly. Several days later he began to swim straight into the plant while later he began to kind of mostly stay in one spot instead of swim around like he normally did. After seeing this I looked online and found out that he most likely had internal parasites due to not having a heater. So, I went to the pet store and bought a heater for $4, API aquarium salt, API General Cure, and I had Epsom Salt on hand already. The past couple of days I cleaned his bowl 100% each day, replaced his marbles from the bottom of the bowl with new ones, and applied the General Cure, aquarium salt, and Epsom salt with each cleaning. He now has a heater and thermometer with the water being 83 degrees right now. After treating him he's been approving a little bit more each day. He now opens his fins and swims around, and has more of an appetite. Still, he swims around slowly. He's not quite as active as he used to be and I already used the General Cure twice. Is there anything else I can do to cure Fantasia?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Last edited by dbrooke1; 05-28-2012 at 08:32 PM.
dbrooke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

http://www.Bettatalk.com
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #3 
dbrooke1

Jungle Anti Parasite Pellets

Thank you! I'll take a look at it! :)

Someone from an older post said that you can put aquarium salt in the water every 12 hours. So I put aquarium salt and epsom salt (dissolved) for a second time today. Never will do this again because Fantasia seemed to do worse. He floats in one spot a lot of the time now. So, now I'll just do a salt treatment once a day when I clean the bowl?

Also, someone from another post said to also use Jungle's Anti-Parasite Pellets TOO. So, tomorrow I'm going to purchase some and try feeding them to him and see how he does!
Old 05-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #4 
Bladezero

Salt treats only external parasites, I'm almost sure of it.

As for treating, the Jungle's anti parasite should work. I would try a heat treatment first tho.. raise it abit more to 85f, most parasites can't stand that heat. If he gets better great, if you see no improvement in 2-3 days or he's getting worse start the meds. :)
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #5 
dbrooke1

Thank you so very much Bladezero! :) His water is 84 degrees right now and I only added aquarium salt and Epsom salt again (3 days so far). The reason is I found an improvement in him before after adding Epsom salt in the water. He seems to be doing a little bit better today. He's still doesn't have the energy he once had, yet he's making turns while he's swimming rather than only swimming in straight lines, and he swims through his cave sometimes which he hasn't done before. He does twitch from side to side sometimes.
In terms of his feeding, he refuses to eat brocolli or peas and will only eat his pellets now. So, going to hold off on the internal medicine and try heat and salt for now.
Thank you once again for your help! It's appreciated very much! :)
Old 05-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #6 
Bladezero

About feeding the medicine rubbing some garlic oil should make it more appealing to him(Don't know if its true but I've read it in several places)

Hope he gets better :D post a picture of him if you can :)
Old 05-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #7 
dbrooke1

Thanks again!!! Good to know when I feed it to him.
Here are two pictures of him. Sorry, it is from a cell phone camera!
Oh well.
So, attempting to buy internal medicine asap. Looked everywhere with no luck. So, gotta look online. Still looking! Want him to get better
Attached Images

Last edited by dbrooke1; 05-29-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #8 
dbrooke1

Does anyone know of a physical store where you can purchase anti parasite food?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:19 AM   #9 
dbrooke1

Hello, very interested that someone mentioned the Jungle Parasite Clear. My little guy has internal parasites I believe. I already used API General Cure twice. I ordered Anti Parasite Fish Food online, since I've read that treatment that do not orally go inside the fish are not effective for killing internal parasites. Since someone claimed Jungle Parasite Clear worked for them with internal parasites, do you think I'd be overmedicating Fantasia if I tried it? Or is the product only for external? Thanks a bunch!!!!
I'm accepting the fact that little Fantasia may not make it and be gone soon because I ordered the meds online...... The best bet is to try to make him as comfortable as possible

Last edited by dbrooke1; 05-30-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #10 
Bladezero

Usually when a med that isn't supposed to counter something, counters "it". It means wrong diagnostics :P

This is from the sticky :

Internal Parasites
•Symptoms: Betta is losing weight but eating normally and acting lethargic.
He/she might dart or rub against decor.
•Treatment: These can be hard to fight and can get confused with the fatal disease Tuberculosis. Perform daily 100% water changes (if possible, for larger aquariums change 3/4). Make sure you carefully clean the gravel to remove eggs/larva. Aq.Salt does not seem to be affective against internal parasites. I find combining ES with an anti-parasite med is best. Treat with 1-2tsp/gal Epsom Salt combined with either Jungle’s Anti-Parasite Pellets, Jungle’s Parasite Clear Fizz tabs or API General Cure. PP is also effective against internal parasites.

Epsom salt with one of the meds is the easy treatment..

If you think the meds wont be in time do a PP bath, Unfortunately I prefer not to explain how to do it since I never done it myself unlike other stuff I comment.
I'm sure one of the more experienced members will answer how to do it properly :)