Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #11 
dbrooke1

Hey, really really appreciate your help!!! All of the symptoms above are exactly what my little guy has. I THINK he lost weight, yet not 100% sure.

OKAY, so I looked up how to do a PP bath. This is what I found.

What to use: 1/2 teaspoon regular salt (another 1/2 teaspoon towards end of bath and 4-5 drops of methylene blue, breeder net, proper sized net, wonder shells (whatever this is), atleast one quart of water, rubber gloves, old towels/rags/paper to spread out (MB stains)

This guy said to use MB at double normal tank strength but I'm going to follow the instructions on the bottle.
Put in MB then add salt

Gradually add salt via dissolved solution during the first half of the bath
Good location where no temperature change to place bath container. Read of other people using their bathroom.
All baths should start with water from the fish's holding tank water.
Throw away bath water after completing each bath.
Use wonder shells.
To minimize stress, perform bath in the morning, let fish swim free, perform bath in the evening before going to bed, then place fish in breeding net over night.
The fish should be in the bath water for 30 minutes at a time.
Be gentle!
1 teaspoon of salt per 1 gallon

I've never done this before, yet this is what I found on another website. The guy also had a video to demonstrate it. He looked like he knew what he was doing. Going to try this! :)

Thank you!

Last edited by dbrooke1; 05-30-2012 at 01:20 PM.
dbrooke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #12 
Bladezero

Good luck, update us :)
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #13 
dbrooke1

HEY! There are bubbles at the top side of his bowl! Hope its a good thing. Fed him frozen blood worms today. After his feeding, he's been doing a little better. He's still twitchy and somewhat lethargic unfortunately.
Anyway, methylene blue is only sold online it seems. So read that potassium permangate can be substituted for it. At PetSmart they sell "Jungle Lab Water Clear" or "Jungle Lab Clear Water". According to some person, this product is potassium permangate.
Wonder Shells... can't find those things.
Well, atleast some improvement is better than no improvement so far

Last edited by dbrooke1; 05-30-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #14 
ANHEL123

Ok one of the symptoms when they have internal parasites is white, clear stringy poop. A lot of time along with bloating. Sometimes gray belly...
Is he bloated? Did you see his poop?

I don't want you confuse external and internal parasites. External parasites he will swim like crazy (darting); try to rub his body on objects, looks like cover with salt or white dots. It usually start on one spots and then spreads....

If it really eternal parasites you need Epsom salt for bloating and it will also help to pass the worms out of the system but it really helps if the fish is eating so he can produce waste too. Dead worms are passed along with poop.

Now there is a post were someone treating it right now with Epsom salt and medications. And he update today that his betta is better. Let me look at the post . I will give you a link so you can see what kind of medications he is using along with Epsom salt.

Now if it external use Aquarium salt. For internal - Epsom salt. Both es and aq salt you can use up to 3teaspoons / gall.

Instructions are the same.

For internal 2 teaspoons/gall pre mix in one gall jug for the right dosage. You will need to make 100% daily water changes along with anti parasites medications.

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #15 
ANHEL123

just check the post that person treating with Parasite Guard.
Not sure which medications can you find in your store? But first it really important to make sure what he has for sure.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #16 
dbrooke1

Symptom leaves...for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Ok one of the symptoms when they have internal parasites is white, clear stringy poop. A lot of time along with bloating. Sometimes gray belly...
Is he bloated? Did you see his poop?

I don't want you confuse external and internal parasites. External parasites he will swim like crazy (darting); try to rub his body on objects, looks like cover with salt or white dots. It usually start on one spots and then spreads....

If it really eternal parasites you need Epsom salt for bloating and it will also help to pass the worms out of the system but it really helps if the fish is eating so he can produce waste too. Dead worms are passed along with poop.

Now there is a post were someone treating it right now with Epsom salt and medications. And he update today that his betta is better. Let me look at the post . I will give you a link so you can see what kind of medications he is using along with Epsom salt.

Now if it external use Aquarium salt. For internal - Epsom salt. Both es and aq salt you can use up to 3teaspoons / gall.

Instructions are the same.

For internal 2 teaspoons/gall pre mix in one gall jug for the right dosage. You will need to make 100% daily water changes along with anti parasites medications.

Thank you very, very much for your input!!

Didn't know it at the time, yet now realize Fantasia has been sick ever since I bought him from the pet shop. Grrr.

Hmmm...... I've never seen white, stringy poop hang from his body. After cleaning his bowl every day, noticed stringy 'brown' stuff at the bottom once or twice. Normal poop? Can't really tell if he's actually bloated. Also not sure if his belly is grey, but the color is faided there, along with a faded color on his head (hole in the head?) and sides. There is also a reddish color by his gills/eye (s). Sometimes, he swam around with his gills open. Swam in circles yet he hasn't been doing this anymore. He doesn't have normal energy for a betta. Swims around, stops in place, swims, then stops in place. Yesterday his tail looked different, as if it was partially close to together- does not spread out all the way completely. There are other symptoms too.

Began using Parasite Guard last night with epsom salt and aquarium salt.
Actually heard from someone else that heat treatment can stress out the fish, cause the parasites to become dormant and than come back later more aggressively. So, now tried keeping his water temperature normal. (75-82 degrees) Also, the Parasite Guard box says threadlike worms hanging from its body are a sign of external parasites. :)

It's helping him some. Thank you! After putting the Parasite Guard his moving his head from side to side really quickly has stopped as well as his running into things or swimming really fast all of a sudden. They have stopped. Yet, around lunch time today his head moving quickly from side to side is coming back again with having less movements now.

So, maybe will continue using the Parasite Guard, epsom salt/aquarium salt every day and wait for the medicated fish food to come in the mail next week ATLEAST for prevention. Thinking of cleaning his bowl now and this time not putting his marbles in. How will I know if he gets stressed out by not having the marbles. What would be the signs?

Also, looked up fish terbucolosis and I do not think he has it. Do not see any wounds or sores on his body and the shape of his spine/back looks normal to me. Yet, after looking at him through a flash light, noticed some lumps or bumps on his body.

Anyway, atleast Parasite Guard is saving his life. Ha. Holding off on the PP bath for a last resort??

Last edited by dbrooke1; 05-31-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #17 
ANHEL123

Just want to write you something really fast. I was afraid you will log out.
I time to read what you wrote i am at work. But stop medications. And you cannot use all 3 of them . You need only Epsom salt or aq salt. I need to read what you wrote. Give me a time. But it too tooo too much. I would start doing 50% water changes every 2 hrs for a few times. You are overdosing him with all those medications. And we not even sure if he has internal parasites. And since his poop brown which is normal color you don't need medications.

Don't panic. You didn't know it not your foult. That is why you are here.

I will give you more instructions or i hope other people too.
But first start 50% water changes.
When you change the water don't forget conditioner and try new temperature should be +-2-4 * the same as his temperature. Acclimate him carefully for 5 min or so don't just put him in the new water.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #18 
ANHEL123

If you can start doing water changes and then give us update. I think he might need aquarium salt which i will give you advice, but first i need you to get rid of all those medications and epsom salt. He is very stressed and needs just clean water.

Is he still eating?
Old 05-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #19 
dbrooke1

Eeek. I'll stop using all meds for now. So, a PP bath wouldn't be good either because it involves chemicals?
Fantasia has a one gallon bowl. 50% water change every two hours for a few times with trying new temperature (not too drastic). Maybe keep the marbles in then while doing this.
Tonight, I won't be home for atleast 5 hours. So maybe change it before I leave, then do it again when I come back home!

Appreciate your kind encourage to not panic and for your willingness to help!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #20 
dbrooke1

Y'know when I used aq alone I didn't see any improvement in him, but I DID see improvement with epsom salt. Perhaps I should ONLY use epsom salt. He will not eat brocolli or peas. One time with brocolli, he ate one little bud then would not eat the others. He eats his pellets and gobbled down his frozen blood worms. Today I fed him frozen brine shrimp. He'd put it in his mouth, spit it out, then eat them.