Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #21 
ANHEL123

Yes change him when you can. I want to see how he doing and than decide what the next step is.
It ok we all learning. At least you ask for help, some people don't do this :) I hope we will be able to help him.

Is he eating at all?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #22 
xfeejayx

I'm the guy treating with parasite guard, and my fish is finally doing ok.

Stop the fancy broccoli and pea feeding business. Stick with fish food. He needs protein for strength, and most fish food is at least 40% protein. Maybe even get a fish food with shrimp so you get more protein. The epsom salt should get him pooping.

I've been using epsom salt with parasite guard for 6 days now (100% change every other day with new parasite guard treatment and salt). The combination of those two got my fish active and eating again, but I don't know if it was one or both medications.

I think I'm finally at the point where I'm comfortable with taking him off the parasite guard. I'm going to keep treating with epsom salt, but lower dosage for a few days, then take him off that.
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #23 
dbrooke1

Definately and thank you!! Hopefully he can heal from his sickness!

Does someone know that when I am doing a 50% water change, do I getthe poop out somehow if there is any or not worry about it for now?
dbrooke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #24 
dbrooke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfeejayx View Post
I'm the guy treating with parasite guard, and my fish is finally doing ok.

Stop the fancy broccoli and pea feeding business. Stick with fish food. He needs protein for strength, and most fish food is at least 40% protein. Maybe even get a fish food with shrimp so you get more protein. The epsom salt should get him pooping.

I've been using epsom salt with parasite guard for 6 days now (100% change every other day with new parasite guard treatment and salt). The combination of those two got my fish active and eating again, but I don't know if it was one or both medications.

I think I'm finally at the point where I'm comfortable with taking him off the parasite guard. I'm going to keep treating with epsom salt, but lower dosage for a few days, then take him off that.
Hello! Great, thank you. So, it is SAFE to use epsom salt and Parasite Guard together? Or like the other person said, to only use Epsom salt with 50% water changes every 2 hours. If it is safe I'd like to use both because Parasite Guard has helped.

Glad to hear that your fish is recovering. Great news!!!! :) Gives hope too
dbrooke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #25 
xfeejayx

Parasite guard and Epsom salt together are safe.

His concern is that you were using aquarium salt and epsom salt together. Don't do that. Do the water changes he's recommending to get Fantasia back to a comfortable, known water level. Then do Epsom+PG.

My plan is to ween Baloo off the Epsom, then switch to aquarium salt after a few days to help him recover.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #26 
ANHEL123

Guys wait. Yes i was helping xfreejayx before. But i wan and i guess other people sure that his fish has internal parasites.

Now in your situations we not sure.

Yes it is safe to treat with Epsom salt and medications if fish has internal parasites.

Your fish has normal brown poop i doubt that he has internal parasites. So you don't want to give him wrong medications. It very important to know why we treating him

Epsom salt treats one symptoms/disease and aquarium salt for different symptoms.

I think xfreejayx wrote it because he though that your fish has internal parasites.

Sorry we all confused you here.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #27 
ANHEL123

Post at the same time:)
xfreejayx i don't think he has internal parasites :)
dbrook when is last time you change the water?
Old 05-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #28 
ANHEL123

I think xreejayx just saw name of your post that why he though that ...
xreejayx just treated fish with internal parasites, i am glad he feels better:)
Old 05-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #29 
xfeejayx

I'm with ANHEL (and spell my name right!). Your fish doesn't look bad. Baloo's fins are all clamped, he's got lots of fin melt, he was bloating, not eating, not moving...Your fish still looks pretty good!

I'd stop with the treatments and get him in clean water for now.

Make sure that heater is working right (get a thermometer). Temp should be 78-82 F (74-84 is fine too, but not ideal).

Go back to regular fish food, and try a couple different kinds. Baloo used to eat pellets every day, and now he can't eat them, spits them back out.

Once he's in clean water, stop doing daily 100% changes. I honestly think I was stressing Baloo out with daily 100% changes, so I went to 100% every other day. I'm going to do one last one tonight, then go down to 50-75% or something every other day.

I understand your fish may be acting more and more different, but it might be because you are behaving more and more different. He might just need to be treated normally for him to go back to normal.

Also, GET A BETTER CAMERA. There could be a bunch of other things that he can/can't have. The clear pictures I took (with my phone btw) helped these guys point out that I had misdiagnosed baloo with velvet. Clear pictures can make a BIG difference. I just took a bunch of random ones and put them up for opinion.

Baloo changed color in a matter of days. Some fins turned red, then gold. His head went from black to green. He got skinnier, then the bloating happened a weak later.

This is a sick fish:

before pic, and this is after his behavior totally changed and he stopped eating, so even this pic is after he was sick for a week:

Last edited by xfeejayx; 05-31-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #30 
ANHEL123

xfreejayx when you will start doing regular water changes do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes for one gallon.

Also if we need to treat fish with aq salt or epsom salt 100% water changes are necessary :)

Now dbrooke kind of put too much medications so i need him to do 50% to get rid of all salts and medications and you don't want to do drastic changes to the water to stress him even more :)