Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #1 
SageMyster

Exclamation Fish all Dying! IMMEDIATE HELP NEEDED!!!!!

I've gone and done something really dumb. I used the same supplies on all four of my fish to do water changes. A week ago my boy Katniss was swimming on his side, struggling to breathe, and overall suffering. I ended up putting him down because no one could identify what exactly was wrong with him, and he was obviously in a great deal of pain.

I feed my fish four pellets a day. I do biweekly water changes. Two are in 1gals and one is in a 2.5gal. (College tank size restrictions) I tested the water chemistry this morning... perfect across the board. I've been doing 50-75% water changes and API salt treatments for the past 8 days to help their fins grow because they're all biters.

I woke up this morning to an inexplicable death. I have a video here, second one down, of him just last night, 8PM PST: http://bettabeblissful.tumblr.com/

... this is the same fish that was dead this morning. No spikes, no strange anything.

Now onto Calvin. Calvin has been sitting on his head all day in a corner of his tank. He is emaciated, weak, and swimming slightly funny. It looks like he has the beginning of what Katniss had. The only thing I can identify that's strange on his body are red streaks in his tail, but I thought that might have been ammonia burning from his slow transition from college back to my house. Again, there's a video of him last night near the end of my blog, acting perfectly normal.

Harlot, on the other hand, I can't tell if he has streaks or not because he's a red fish! But he too is just sitting in a corner of his tank, weak, not moving, on his side.

PLEASE, someone help me. What is going on and what can I do IMMEDIATELY to save my remaining fish? Petco closes at 9!
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #2 
SageMyster

Calvin also suddenly has a grey chin.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #3 
SageMyster

Where can I get PP late at night? It's not at Petco or PetSmart!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Did you remember water conditioner? One time I forgot to put some in a holding tank during a tank teardown and 7 tetras died.

Hmm. You would have figured it out if it was temperature related (boiling hot or freezing cold).

Check your food and make sure it's not expired.

Have you noticed anything wrong with their poop? They aren't constipated or their poop hasn't been white and stringy? They haven't been darting or rubbing?

EDIT: You haven't had any weird power spikes, have you? Sometimes, when the electrical equipment isn't plugged into a GFI outlet, small electric shocks can occur in the water, especially if there's been a strange power spike (like during a thunderstorm etc).
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm wondering if it's something in your water. You're doing everything you can to keep the water quslity good so I don't think it's ammonia poisioning or anything like that. The red streaks make me wonder if it's septicemia.I'm no expert on diseases.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #6 
Atena

I wish I could help, but I am new at this. You must be heartbroken. :(
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Good call on the septicemia, DQ. Did Calvin have red streaks before? How suddenly did they show up?
Old 05-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #8 
SageMyster

Water conditioner (API Stress Coat) is in, temp is 80 degrees, no power strikes. I'm actually treating for septicemia right now, as that was my best guess. He hasn't had it long. What I really think it is is TB.

I'm so afraid I'm going to wake up in the morning and they'll all be dead... taking sleeping meds tonight. Oh, God.

Harlot is my baby boy. He's swimming on his side. He was fine yesterday.

Thanks folks for sharing your thoughts! I really appreciate it.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #9 
Sakura8

I can't imagine how it could be TB. The water is too clean and there are no open sores or ulcers on the boys. And TB doesn't strike that fast. They could have had an internal bacterial infection brewing for a while. With fish we never get any signs that there is an internal problem until it's often too late. :(

You're doing a fine job with them, Sage. Just keep up the good work and I'll be thinking of you and your boys.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #10 
SageMyster

Thank you so much, Sakura. You've always been such a great help with my fishies. I'm just crossing my fingers for the morning. Thank you for all the well-wishes. :)