Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2012, 04:01 AM   #1 
jfoster3

Brand new fish!

I just got a betta. I got him a two gallon circle tank with a bottom gravel filter. I filled it with britta filtered water and added betta bowl plus with water stuff (that you add to the water). I have the cup he came in sitting next to the new tank so that the temperatures will become the same.
What else do I need to do? Also, when should I add him to the tank?
jfoster3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #2 
jase

do you have a heater?

basically keep adding tank water into the cup and pouring a bit out every 5min or so for 20min or so. then pour out most off the water from cup(discard wast water) and place it in tank to allow the betta out.

Or you can use the drip method which takes about 3hrs

generally the betta would just stay in the corner for a while and gradually come out.
jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #3 
Pogthefish

float it in the tank, it will be fsater, and I really suggest you get a heater after you float him for 20 mins, go ahead and add him.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoster3 View Post
I just got a betta. I got him a two gallon circle tank with a bottom gravel filter. I filled it with britta filtered water and added betta bowl plus with water stuff (that you add to the water).
In future, I would suggest using tap water. Britta water has some bad stuff removed, but it also has good stuff removed, which the fish needs. Tap water + water conditioner is the way to go. :) When yo run out of Betta Bowl Plus, look at Prime. That's my favourite conditioner, and it's really good value for money because it is super concentrated.
I have the cup he came in sitting next to the new tank so that the temperatures will become the same.
What else do I need to do?
Float the cup inside the water in the tank. That way, the temperatures will equalise perfectly. :) Leave him in there for about 40 minutes, adding a little bit of tank water to the cup every ten minutes. This will help him adjust to the new water chemistry as well as to the new temperature. :)
Also, when should I add him to the tank?
As has been suggested, if you don't have a heater, definitely get hold of one. A 25 watt adjustable heater would do nicely. :) You'll also need a thermometer - go for one the glass ones that sit inside the tank, not a sticky strip that goes outside. The inside ones are far more accurate. :)

Hope this helps! Good luck with your new fish. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #5 
jfoster3

Thanks for the tips. He loves his new home. I got him a water heater. Thanks especially for that tip. I didn't know that bettas needed water heaters and the dude at petsmart tried to tell me they didn't.
The tank I have has a bubbler in it, but I don't think Susebron likes it. When the bubbler is on, the top of the water is all full of bubbles and he hides in his rock the entire time. Also when I go to feed him with the bubbler on, he won't go up near the top of the water (and he doesn't have the mad skills to catch the pelts when the are falling, though he tries).
so I've just turned the bubbler off. With it off, he swims all over the tank and gets air from the top. He eats his food and just seems happier.
Does he need to have to bubbler on? I thought about turning it on at night or whenever he is less active. Or I can just leave it out all together.
What do you think?
jfoster3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #6 
jase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoster3 View Post
and the dude at petsmart tried to tell me they didn't.
?
never trust a person from pet smart, a guy from the forum had recently been told by a pet-smart worker to put LIVE SEA SAND into a FRESHWATER betta tank.

I think you will find better advice in private pet stores as the people there are less likely to deceive you.

good thing that all the pet shops here are honest and do care for the fish. :P

You probably should tune the bubbler down or remove it as betta don't like water movement on the surface, as they live in shallow stagnant ponds in the wild.
best thing is to get a filter, tune the flow down with a baffler and point it towards the bottom.
jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #7 
lvandert

I would just leave it out all together. The only bettas I have any form of bubbler/filter on is in my fry tank. Other than that everyone has still water that gets lots of water changes
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #8 
Pogthefish

OH I just realized, use unfiltered tap water, the filter removes many esential minerals and blh for the betta, but if you DO use it, you don't need betta bowl plus, and I recomend API water conditioner, better vallue, I have tried betta bowl plus, and I see no difference between that and regular
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote