Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #1 
Nightingale

Question 2-Gallon Emergency Quaratine Tank Setup?

Hi, I've already posted once in the Diseases and Emergencies forum about my sick betta girl who has a bloated eye and bloated right side of her face (I was told it seems like an injury). I've gotten one reply so far and the poster asked me if I had a quaratine tank.

I was wondering what I would have to do to set up an emergency quaratine tank and if a two-gallon tank would suffice for this? I have an empty two-gallon tank that that matches the one she's in now exactly, I would simply need to move the pump/filtration sysem from the tank she's in now to the other one. But if I can do that, how am I supposed to set it up and how long do I need to wait for the water to be all right for her (I was recommended to use epsom salt treatment).

I'm really worried. So for anyone who replies: thank you, I appreciate your time and advice!
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

what do you have in your current tank? Two gallons should be fine. A smaller one too (1gallon), unless for some reason you cannot keep it warm. 1 gallon will make frequent water changes easier.Did any one suggest epsom saltfor you? Acclimate her to the new tank and slowly dose with epsom salt(the non france pure epsom salt types) Do not use aquarium salt. The water should be fine for her as long as the temperature is the same and you are using the water you always use.
You do not need the filter. I believe the dose of epsom salt is 3 teaspoons/gallon but I could be mistaken. but I know 3 teaspoons should be fine. slowly up the dose from 1 tsp / day and she will get used to it. you should also check the stickies in the emergency section for what medications you will need to use.

If there is any sign of fungal or bacterial infection, try to keep her tank at 75F
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #3 
Nightingale

I just have gravel, a little rainbow colored cave, a small plastic Ariel figurine, and a tiny white rock as decoration. Then I have an under gravel heater and a line that sticks to the inside of the back of the tank for the digital thermometer. And then of course the filter which sits above the water, so there's only a single tube that actually goes down into the water (it's a Regent Starfish model).

Should I use any of the water from the current tank in the quaratine tank or should it be all new water?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

do you have a 1 gallon container you can place in the 2 gallon tank without the water mixing? that will keep the temperature up. Is your heater stable?

I would say it should be all new water. However, it is up to you to determine whether she needs to be re acclimated. My bettas have no problems with 100% water changes. only you know the preference of your own, so you decide :)

did you read the stickies on diseases in the betta emergencies section?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #5 
Nightingale

Unfortunately I don't have anything smaller than a two-gallon except for tiny little glass bowls (a little bit bigger than the ones you see at the carnival games with goldfish in them) that I temporarily put my bettas in when I get in there to completely clean the tanks (using the gravel vacuum and whatnot).

The heater doesn't keep the temperature at a set temp, it just heats it roughly ten degrees higher than the room temperature. I unplug it in the summer because if I don't I have to constantly watch it to make sure it doesn't overheat the tank (which it has gotten dangerously close to doing in years past).

The only thing is that I'm worried about netting her because of the injury to her eye. I don't want her to be in any more pain or stress than she's already in (so I was thinking about just trying to catch her in a bag if I have to move her, but doing so means I can't do a 100% water change).

And I did read the stickies, but I didn't see a epsom salt to water amount which is why I haven't done anything yet.

Last edited by Nightingale; 05-30-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:43 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

you dont have to net her. If you have a small container, you can tryto gently cup her. I never net my fish. In fact I bribe them into their cups with food (which obviously isnt an availiable option to you). if she is usually friendly with you. you can use the water change container (or a cleaned plastic/ styrofoam cup)and hold it under her and slowly lift it up around her. The bigger the container the better. If that doesnt work, and she freaks out too much, you can try to manually remove all the gravel decorations and whatever in her tank and gently pour her out. I am only worried that her tank may need cleaning. If you feel that she is too fragile, prepare your 2 gal water change water first with epsom salt, water conditioner, and make sure temperature is equal.
The goto her tank, siphon out as much water as you can whilst leaving her enough room to swim in. and slowly add the new water. i like to use a thin airline for siphoning water into the tank. sure it's sloowww as, but it is the gentlest way after drip acclimation and creates minimal flow.

oh and just found this:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=93797