Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #11 
CFox759211

Very true, Sena! Ok... yesterday and I changed his water and only added conditioner/dechlorinator, and he was fine. Today, while he was active this morning and ate his breakfast very enthusiastically... this afternoon, he has periodically been darting around his tank eratically. He then stops and kinda rests at the top. Granted, his fins are still melted, although the long ones that hang down from his stomach, do look better than they did.

Could this be because he is now in water (for the first time) without AQS and is adjusting to the new water?
CFox759211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #12 
Sena Hansler

Yes, he will have to adjust of course - And watch if he is swimming into/against things, it could lead to cuts so clean water is a must of course
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #13 
CFox759211

Thanks again. And now another question! I changed his water yesterday and only added conditioner/dechlorinator. This morning, he was acting fine and ate his breakfast very enthusiastically. This afternoon, he has darted eratically around his tank several times, only to stop motionless at the top. He also sometimes rests on the bottom. I don't know if something else may be wrong, or is he just getting acclimated to the water without the AQS and BettaFix added?
Old 05-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #14 
CFox759211

Also... his fins still look melted, although the long ones under his gills look better than they did yesterday.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

No problems will be gone overnight, the fins may take a while to heal fully however some may never be able to go back to the the glory they were before they melted.

As for the irratic behavior, it's hard to know. Some betas "dart" when they have ich, some bettas do this after treatments or something that tends to make them more sluggiesh (or I find), and some bettas do it especially when they are weak swimmers.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #16 
CFox759211

Hi all... update on Sushi... He is not doing well at all... I have been changing his water 100% and stopped the AQS and threw out the BettaFix (think this caused his fin melt.) I removed his plastic plant with a live one (fern that was suggestd here). The water tests normal for all criteria and the temp is at 79 degrees... however, he has buried himself under two stones. He stays there all the time except to come out every once in a while when he goes to the top, gets some air, and goes right back down under the stones. He is breathing heavier than normal. Other than the fin melt, I do not see any other signs of problems. My concern is that the BettaFix damaged his labrynth organ or kidneys to the point where it's too late. I did add a little Maracide to his water yesterday. He did look like he had some pale gold under his gills and wasn't sure if this was velvet or something else. This morning, he didn't even come over to me, like he always did. I haven't tried to feed him yet today, but he did eat yesterday, with no problem. Don't know what to do next....
Old 06-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #17 
Sena Hansler

The pale gold usually on faceplates, would be ammonia burns. Or chemical burns - as with over use of medications that can be caused, and both are rather common.

Velvet, would be powdery and with a flashlight it would most probably be all over his body. If it IS velvet, I literally cannot help you there I have never encountered it oddly enough!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #18 
CFox759211

That makes sense since I was using the AQS and BettaFix in his water...not much, but apparently enough on an ongoing basis to cause the fin melt. I just did a 50-60% change of his water. Levels are reading ok. He actually is now at the top just floating near the heater... water tep is around 79-80. He saw me and acted like he was hungry, so I fed him 3-4 thawed blood worms, which he ate very enthusiastically. I did put in a little more Maracid, since that treats Ick, Velvet and other external conditions. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Would you recommend me putting something in for bacteria as well, or see if the Maracid makes a difference? Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #19 
Sena Hansler

I'm not even sure if it is velvet... Can you show a picture? Really, velvet glimmers in light changes, but not to be confused for burns (faceplate/gills).

Anyways, considering he is acting better, just keep an eye on him I wouldn't add more meds especially if all it's going to do is make his immune sysem stronger against the meds - or make an unknown disease immune! Never treat for something that isn't there, or you are unsure of
Old 06-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #20 
CFox759211

I tried taking a picture but he couldn't get one of him sideways. He is back under the rocks now. As I said... he still has melted fins and after looking at his gills again...it almost looks like his coloring... he is dark blue. Also, not sure if it's me just looking for something, but on his belly, it almost looks like it has lightened or more grayish instead of the dark blue... then again... it might be my eyes or lighting. When I checked him with the flashlight, his body looks normal... no spots, ulcers or anything...

Tags
bettafix, fin melt