Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #1 
Cargo

Fluval Chi vs. Aqueon Evolve vs. Fluval SPEC

Hi guys. There is less than two months left until my birthday. I'm turning 14, and I'm asking for a new aquarium...

I've been thinking about the Fluval Chi, Aqueon Evolve, or Fluval SPEC. The thing is, the Fluval Chi and Aqueon Evolve don't had lids. The Fluval Spec has a partial lid, covering about 60% of the area with a round hole in the middle.

I like the Fluval Chi, but I don't like the basket on top. Plus, water evaporation is a big thing. Also, betta can jump out. The light isn't very bright either, and I don't want to have to spend an extra $30 for one of those clip on lights. This tank is 5 gallons.

The Aqueon Evolve looks pretty good. It also doesn't have a hood. The light is a bit brighter, and you can actually grow some medium light plants. But again, it can be an issue with no hood. I would either want the 4 or the 8 gallon.

The Fluval SPEC is a tank with partial hood. It has bright lighting, so you can grow a variety of plants. The thing is, its only 2 gallons. So you can keep a betta and pretty much nothing else with it. I like having tank mates, so thats kind of a bad thing. Plus, it can't be cycled because of its size, which also isn't good.

Does anyone know of any other tanks I might like? I'm attracted to bright lighting, and stylish tanks. I wouldn't want anything bigger than a 10 gallon. Also, try to keep it cheap, like less than $100.
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:22 AM   #2 
Micho

Aqueon Evolve 8 gallon is what I would get, bigger is better. Plus, it's the only tank that can sustain plant life, I find trouble with my Edge and Spec sustaining plant life, only can get low-light plants.

With the lid issue you can make it yourself like some people have on these forums, with mesh or glass. I'm pretty sure a standard 5 gallon tank kit is way cheaper than any of these tanks.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:46 AM   #3 
N03113

http://www.petco.com/product/117222/...Plant-Kit.aspx is what I have.. 7.9g tank.. full glass lid.. kit comes with mini CO2 kit, filter, light, fluval stratum.. I removed the faux rock foam - more space imo...

You can find it much cheaper on amazon.com or on ebay... I paid maybe 85ish for it?

Is good for low light plants, if you get plants that need higher light, you'd have to add an additional light - I just bought a second light and clamped it on the tank.
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:58 AM   #4 
deso

If you really like the Fluval Chi, they've started producing a cover for it:
http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A13957-F.../dp/B005QRDEDM

But I'd go with the Fluval Flora, as N03113 has recommended. Really attractive tank, and it comes with a secure lid. There are some very pretty non-Fluval nano tanks out there, like anything by ADA (Aqua Design Amano) or Innovative Marine, but the smallest sizes will already exceed your 100$ limit.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:02 AM   #5 
N03113

What I like about the lid for the flora/ebi is the hole, makes for an easy feeding and water testing access.. Though I did not really like the filter that it comes with - the fluval nano filter was too noisy for me, but I think that's due to one of two factors: the filter media case and the motor case don't always fit snugly together which can cause vibrations, or it could be the size of the suction cups. But it is an adjustable filter with the ability to direct the spraybar in any direction you want... I ended up just putting in a duetto 50.. it's a preference thing. Overall, I'm super happy with it. feel free to check out my blog and threads for photos.

Last edited by N03113; 05-27-2012 at 03:05 AM.
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:33 AM   #6 
JKhoi

I have a fluval chi and your concerns about lighting and other things is certainly true. Everything I had I replaced and all I have left is just the tank itself. Whatever, I still like the shape of the tank xD. Hope this helps you choose.
JKhoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #7 
Vaeku

As someone else said, they do make a lid for the Chi now. Also, the Evolve does come with a lid, though I believe the lid has a small feeding hole.
Vaeku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #8 
Cargo

*wonders why no company can put together a tank that has a hood, filter, and bright lighting for less than $100*
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #9 
lelei

Hello, I am not partial to Fluval or Chi style at all, I have this one

And our "Sammy" loves it..check it out

Amazon.com: KollerCraft AQUARIUS AquaView 360 Aquarium Kit ...

(24 Reviews) Amazon.com: KollerCraft AQUARIUS AquaView 360 Aquarium Kit with LED Light - 3- Gallon: Pet Supplies ... But... my husband has been wanting to get a fish tank ...
www.amazon.com/KollerCraft-AQUARIUS-AquaView-Aquarium... - Cached

lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #10 
lelei

Marineland Crescent - Image Results

This may be another option, less expensive than Fluval, almost same design..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote