Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Big ol' Pleco :|

So, I got a pleco today. (dog collapses beneath my chair) >.> two birds one stone heh heh...

Anyways, I meant for him to be in my 80 gallon. However... I need to medicate the poor baby. I think. I don't know. I never owned a pleco before!

He has fin rot, chewed fins and septicemia.

He came from: 15 gallon with 30 or so guppies (about 3 inches for most adults and half an inch for babies) and he is about... 8 inches. She never cleaned the tank and I quote her:

"I come in and feed them 5-6 times a week, and he cleans my tank so I don't have to do anything else." -sigh- Fish don't eat poop. Or ammonia. Whatever. It explained why her water was black when I wrestled with the pleco to get him into a 10 inch container!!! (wow I was close for size lol).

I have a vacant 20 gallon. can I, with a 40 gallon filter and NO other fish, put him in there for treatment, and what's the general rule for treatment? Half the amount? or what? I don't need to dose my Oscar!!! Which is why I want to somehow....get him in the 20 then wrestle him..into...the...80...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Well... I had to act fast as he went suddenly lethargic. Like...you could touch him and he wouldn't MOVE lethargic. SO he's in my 20 long that has algae in it and double filtration.

But, now what?
Old 05-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #3 
sparkyjoe

I have read that if fish come from terrible conditions that they will have slightly adapted to those terrible conditions. Therefore, any change to clean, clear water should be somewhat gradual?

Don't quote me on that, I'm just guessing.

If he survives the transition then just being in much better conditions should really help him heal. Hopefully someone else can give you better treatment advice.

I just don't get people, particularly adults, who don't do a little research if they're going to get fish.

I admit I was a horrid fish keeper when I was a teenager, but I took a little time on the internet and found this site which helped me learn how to do better. Heck, I just did a water change and I've got a migraine! Sigh.
Posted via Mobile Device
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Well we all start somewhere - but when you're like....25.... and have all the resources in the world for your pets...you'd think those resources would be used :/ But no, the poor baby was basically 75% the length of the 15, as it was a tall not long....I had to transition him into the 20 long, which is filtered but not heated (but in the humid fish room :) ) because he was VERY unresponsive once we were home! I lifted him out of the water and he gave a feeble swish that's it!!!! :/ So I acted fast, moved my HM and Dally to different tanks and put him in there.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

I agree with you. People shouldn't buy a fish and expect it to clean the tank. As for the QT tank, I've always heard that a good QT tank should be a tank size the fish could live in long-term. The 20G long sounds like a good idea right now, but I would try to get something larger. You have no clue how long it is going to need to be in QT. Maybe see if you can get a huge plastic tub to use as his QT. I've seen them as large as 55 gallons.

Sparkyjoe is right. Fish can adapt to many water conditions including very bad ones. A rapid change (even if it is for the good) can send the fish into shock. The best way to have a fish recover is to do daily small water changes until the water quality is good again. I'm pulling for your rescue.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #6 
sparkyjoe

I hope he comes around, poor guy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

thanks guys. He was floating in the 80, but when I saw he had septicemia I decided not to have him in there! So I floated him in the 20, being iffy it I should have him in the 80... BUT beause I dunno plecos well, I decided to have him in the 20 especially when he suddenly stopped responding!

Right now he is sulking from the change of environment, but he is responsive. I must ask, do plecos get dropsy, if so what do they look like??? Some of his scales are spiked up. (bahaha pleco newb :3) I'm pretty sure he is the common pleco
Old 05-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

I have a common pleco, Nessie :) Her scales look a little raised, like a dragon's scales and not flat like a Bettas. I have no idea other than that though, I just keep her alive with algae chips :) Hope your little one pulls through.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #9 
sparkyjoe

Hey, Sena. Maybe I missed it, but do you have any natural wood in the tank with your new pleco? They love to munch on drift wood. I think it may also help with their digestion/general health?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Thanks Pitluvs, that "dragon's scales" is about right! whew I have the mini algae wafers she had for him (or is it a her...? o_O ) plus shrimp-based pellets that sink.

I don't have driftwood but I can find some natural or store bought.