Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #1 
MoonyTonight

Desentry

Hello all. I would like to start this off with saying that Desentry was the first betta I've ever owned. He was a Petsmart rescue who I happened to run into one day. You see I've always loved fish, and I've always wanted to own my own community aquarium, but never had the time or money due to working and paying bills.

I had been to a petstore maybe once in the last decade. One day I'm off work and a friend wanted to go to Petsmart to look at some snakes. As we walk in we pass the bettas sitting in their blue water. One, however, seems so full of energy and life that I carefully pick him up and look at him. Hes completely blue on top and halfway down hes a deep red. I was instantly captured by him, but I didn't have my debit card with me. I hadn't planned on a purchase.

I set him down and drove home and came back hoping he was in the same spot I left him in. He was and he seemed to perk up at seeing me again. I had bought him a 1 gallon tank without a heater filter or anything, but food and water conditioner. Despite his lack luster conditions and dealing with my rookie mistakes again and again, he flourished. Eventually after about a month I got him a 10 gallon heated filtered and decorated tank. (Thanks to the info I found here. Thank you!) His colors looked better and better.

Cut to Thanksgiving of last year. I hadn't had any mishaps or diseases and everything was going perfectly. I come home from work (and at the time I was living with my dad still) and starting getting Thanksgiving dinner prepared. My fiance comes over and goes upstairs to my room. I hadn't gone up there yet and she comes down to tell me there is gravel all over the floor and that Desentry isn't in the tank. I rush upstairs and see chaos all over my carpet and stand. I'm frantically looking for him, but to no avail.

2 minutes later my fiance sees the outline of his body on the carpet. His body nowhere to be found. My 5 year old sister had gone up to my room, moved the hood aside and to the best of my knowledge fished him out. Then admitted to throwing him in the trash afterwards. I went back to cooking emotionless and needless to say didn't eat anything. I never got to see him or say goodbye. What a cruel end to my friend.

Desentry you were the fish that started it all. Thanks to you I can give another betta a great home. Thanks to you I'll always know to appreciate life because it can be taken away at any time. Thank you for always making me happy and I hope you can forgive me for everything. I love you.

(The picture is blurry but it's all I've got. My other ones were lost)

Thank you for reading this. I had to finally tell his story. Our story.
Attached Images

MoonyTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #2 
Jessicatm137

Oh no!!!!! I'm sorry!!! He was so pretty too. Poor thing... Your 5yr old sister- How did she fish him out? With her hands? A net? I'm just wondering. Also- will you get another Betta?
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #3 
MoonyTonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicatm137 View Post
Oh no!!!!! I'm sorry!!! He was so pretty too. Poor thing... Your 5yr old sister- How did she fish him out? With her hands? A net? I'm just wondering. Also- will you get another Betta?
Thank you for the kind words.

I'm assuming with her hands. There was water and gravel all over my
futon, carpet, stand... everything. I got another one not too long after. Named Charon,

Hes the one on my avatar
MoonyTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #4 
Jessicatm137

From what I can see Charon is beautiful. I hope he will have a long, happy life with you.
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #5 
xShainax

I would have slapped her butt hard. She was old enough to know better
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote