Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #1 
Nightingale

Unhappy Female Betta: Swollen Eye

I just went in to feed my Bettas and I noticed my female, Amethyst, has a bulging, swollen eye right eye. Under and around where it's bulged it's pinkish-red partway up to her mouth. It's so swollen that it almost looks like the fins have a pinconing effect, but it's not all over her body, it's just centered on the swollen area.

I tried to get a picture of it but she's scared of my phone and I think it was beginning to stress her out because she started darting into her cave to hide.

I've attached two photos. It was the only photo I got of her (I tried to cut it down and sharpen it in photoshop, but it didn't work very well because it was so blurry - caught mid-swim - to begin with) before she started really getting upset. But you can kind of see what I'm talking about with the swollen eye and pinkness even with the blurry picture.

As soon as I saw her I used my 5-N-1 Test Strips to check the water levels, but the nitrate and nitrite were both in coming up in the safe range and the total alkalinity was showing up in the ideal range.
Attached Images

Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #2 
Silverfang

Tat is most likely caused by an injury. Clean water, and epsom salt usually work. Do you have a quarantine tank you can treat her in?
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #3 
Nightingale

I hadn't even thought of an injury. She's in a two-gallon tank that has had essentially the same setup the entire time she's been in it, so I'm not sure what she could've hurt herself on.

Unfortunately I don't have a quarantine tank. How big does a quaratine tank have to be? And if I can't do that, what are my other options? Also, I've never used epsom salt with fish before, so how much and how would I go about that?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #4 
Nightingale

All right: I've purchased a bag of epsom salt. How much should I put in the tank? And what percentage of the water should I change?

ETA: I do have a secondary two-gallon tank that I'm not using. I had originally had the one Amethyst is in for years and then the pump finally died so I went online and found another tank of the same style that had never been used on a flea market website and just transferred the new pump to the set up tank.

Would it makes things easier if I set up the empty two-gallon without ornaments and just switched the pump/filter from the current one to the empty one? There is no heater for this one though (the one I currently have in her tank goes under the gravel, so it might float if I put it into a gravel-less tank). Or, would there not be enough time to safely set up an empty tank for transferring?

Last edited by Nightingale; 05-30-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #5 
Silverfang

starting her out at 1 tsp/gal of epsom salt is usually a good enough treatment. You want to change the water daily to keep it extra clean. Hence asking about a QT tank.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #6 
Nightingale

Alright, thank you!

I've set up the empty two-gallon and placed her in there with the conditioned water with epsom salt since last night. It's hard to tell, but it looks like the swelling has decreased somewhat and I think the cloudiness in her swollen eye has cleared up quite a bit from yesterday.

However, it also looks like there may be a tiny white spot or two just below the eye that I don't remember seeing yesterday.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #7 
Nightingale

Amethyst seemed to be getting better, but now she seems worse again and she keeps sitting at the bottom of the tank.

It looks like there's a cut below her eye and I think a white (fuzzy?) spot developed there over the last couple days. I suspect that the initial injury is now infected. What would be the best course of action? The epsom salt water helped a lot to bring down the swelling and clear up her cloudy eye over the last week, but the eye is not 100% back to normal and there is also a tiny white dot in the middle of her eye that wasn't there before (it's not fuzzy, it's just a dot).