Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #31 
Crowntailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I don't hate them. I would love to have a tank with a gold nugget or zebra pleco one day. But just like the hobby would be better off without goldfish sold for less than a dollar, it would probably be better off without common pleco advertised as "cleaning fish." I wouldn't mind having goldfish banned in stores if it meant they were no longer crammed into tiny tanks; I would contact some breeders I know and ask for fish. I'm sure you would be willing to do that also to ensure that thousands of plecos don't get crammed in tanks that are waay too small for them.
It would be nice if you only could buy goldfish/plecos from a breeders. Or atleast raise the price of these fish to like $15 then less people would buy them. because once one dies in there tiny bowls then they wont be able to buy another one.
Crowntailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #32 
Sena Hansler

Yeah here plecos are 8 dollars as youngin's. HOWEVER, the larger full grown or 12 inch ones are usually 24.00
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #33 
Sheldon31

Bristlenoses range from 5 to a whopping 20 depending on size and the place you buy from. People look at the 1-2 inch fish and think 'perfect for my 5 gallon' usually stuffed with guppies and already over stocked and don't realise that that cute little baby fish will be over a foot in length and will produce enough waste to cancel out that good! But there are responsible owners who can't afford the higher prices of a breeder so I don't think they should be banned from pet stores. Not everyone can afford the fees that comes with buying from breeders but just cause they can't afford it doesn't mean they can't provide the care... I hope he makes it :D he's quite a handsome lad/lass!
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #34 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon31 View Post
Bristlenoses range from 5 to a whopping 20 depending on size and the place you buy from. People look at the 1-2 inch fish and think 'perfect for my 5 gallon' usually stuffed with guppies and already over stocked and don't realise that that cute little baby fish will be over a foot in length and will produce enough waste to cancel out that good! But there are responsible owners who can't afford the higher prices of a breeder so I don't think they should be banned from pet stores. Not everyone can afford the fees that comes with buying from breeders but just cause they can't afford it doesn't mean they can't provide the care... I hope he makes it :D he's quite a handsome lad/lass!
I agree. The poor shouldn't be penalized for the acts of the stupid. I'm poor but I did things the right way. I saved up cash and got my tanks used and discounted, sometimes free to start my hobby. My fish aren't suffering for it. Poor shouldn't be equal to stupid. Raising money on fish won't stop the stupid and rich from buying them. Either way you do it fish and all animals in general could be abused by someone. Abuse isn't going to go away because you put a bigger price on something.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #35 
Sena Hansler

Yeah the lady was surprised the poor pleco grew FAST in 6 months... he tripled his size. I have to clean the 20 today xD

BTW since I am new to plecos... is the poo supposed to be long stringy strands?

edit: " Abuse isn't going to go away because you put a bigger price on something. " Except... Say if I were to say "free dog!" VS the SPCA saying "300 adoption fee" the ignorant would go for free first. However, people like me who'd rather save up money for that 300 dollars puts it towards the free deog's health care :3
Old 06-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #36 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I have to counter that breeders are expensive... Maybe for dogs, yes. For betta, yes.
But other fish are generally cheaper at the breeders than a pet shop, considering the fish stores have huge mark ups, most local breeders try to keep their fish cheaper than at a store.
Plus you often get discounts for buying more fish, or freebies. :D
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #37 
Sheldon31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I have to counter that breeders are expensive... Maybe for dogs, yes. For betta, yes.
But other fish are generally cheaper at the breeders than a pet shop, considering the fish stores have huge mark ups, most local breeders try to keep their fish cheaper than at a store.
Plus you often get discounts for buying more fish, or freebies. :D
Posted via Mobile Device
It's more the postage fees I can't afford. A breeder offered me a Bristlenose baby for 3, 2 less than what I payed but was a bit of a way away so it would cost me an additional 12-15 to post to me or about that in fuel to drive and get him myself and as I couldn't take anymore that 1 I couldn't justify it for just one fish. It's great if you can find a breeder close to you though.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #38 
Sena Hansler

good luck with that here My pleco was from the store, then to her home, then here.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #39 
xShainax

My baby BN passed away
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #40 
Sheldon31

Well he's lucky to have you :) I hope he does well! I'm a lover of plecs myself. I love their unusual mouths and their cute movement. I'm very much in love with my Whickers :D