Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #1 
Cattitude

Test after water change

Today I tested my 26 gal tank for ammonia and it was pretty high (2 ppm)so I did a 50% water change. I use the API Master freshwater kit.

How long should I wait after a water change to retest the water? Is it normal for the ammonia level to take a while to go down? Does the Prime cause false positive ammonia readings?
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #2 
Neil D

Prime converts ammonia to a less harmful variety for a while, before rereleasing it into the tank. The tests will still detect the ammonia though. You can test right after a water change if you want, but I would wait a little while (10min or so) so everything gets settled. I'm currently cycling my 40g goldfish tank.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Usually it can take about 24-28h after the use of prime to get a true ammonia reading.....

The ammonia neutralizing products like Prime- changes it to ammonium and the test products can't tell the difference....

Test before the water change....then again in 24-28h....you also may need to test your source water if you are getting that high of ammonia reading to rule that out and/or reevaluated your water changes schedule, vacuuming, stocking and feeding.....

If you have chloramine in the source water-this may cause a false ammonia reading as well-since it is a type of ammonia.....Be sure and check the dechlorinator label for proper dosage if you have both chlorine and chloramine in the source water-some instruct double dose.

Watch the fish-if you are having a lot of gill and/or fin issues with the fish or you see them gasping at the surface a lot.....then you may have ammonia issues....otherwise it might be false readings.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #4 
Cattitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Usually it can take about 24-28h after the use of prime to get a true ammonia reading.....

The ammonia neutralizing products like Prime- changes it to ammonium and the test products can't tell the difference....

Test before the water change....then again in 24-28h....you also may need to test your source water if you are getting that high of ammonia reading to rule that out and/or reevaluated your water changes schedule, vacuuming, stocking and feeding.....

If you have chloramine in the source water-this may cause a false ammonia reading as well-since it is a type of ammonia.....Be sure and check the dechlorinator label for proper dosage if you have both chlorine and chloramine in the source water-some instruct double dose.

Watch the fish-if you are having a lot of gill and/or fin issues with the fish or you see them gasping at the surface a lot.....then you may have ammonia issues....otherwise it might be false readings.....
My source water reading is .5. My fish don't seem sick at all, they are active and healthy. I guess I will have to base my water change schedule primarily on how the fish are doing. Currently I'm doing 50% water changes twice a week, vacuuming once a week.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

What is the nitrate reading, stocking level and do you have any live plants.....you might be able to cut down on the water changes to weekly 50% with vacuum in a 26gal tank...while that extra water only won't hurt either-may not be needed...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #6 
Cattitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
What is the nitrate reading, stocking level and do you have any live plants.....you might be able to cut down on the water changes to weekly 50% with vacuum in a 26gal tank...while that extra water only won't hurt either-may not be needed...
My nitrate reading is at zero. I have a lot of live plants in the tank - wisteria, hornwort, java moss, java fern. My tank is stocked with 5 female bettas, 5 cory cats, and 5 White Cloud minnows.