Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #1 
Seabass

Betta eating issues?

So far Seabass has been hanging in there, which is great, I hope I'm doing the best for him! However, it's kind of odd--I got pellet food for him yesterday, regular TetraBetta brand kind, and when I put a few in there for him, he seemed a little interested... the thing is, he went to grab one, got it about halfway in his mouth and sat there with it, and within a couple seconds it popped out again. He seems to be a perfectly normal size betta so it's odd that his mouth would be small... maybe that's what it is? I've been slicing the pellets into halves and thirds as best I can with an xacto knife XD I've seen him spit stuff back out several times, even after swallowing, so I don't know...

I've also tried a few flakes and he seems ok with those, I really don't know how much he is eating of everything though because it could just be sinking to the bottom. Are your bettas excited for food time? Mine could care less... he'll swim to the surface to take a look after a little while, but doesn't really eat much and then just goes back down to hover along the bottom. Hmm. Any thoughts?
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:50 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Yes, I have issues about eating Bettas...like which wine to choose.

Oooohhh...you mean eating issues of Bettas....errrg. "Never mind." (Emily Latella voice)

I hand feed all my fish. Never lose food in the tank that way, and I always know what and how much they eat.

It gives me a chance to relate to and inspect my fish (flaring does, too).

They eat out of my hand or they don't eat. They learn to like it. I like it; it keeps them responsive and tame.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

I used to feed them on the end of a $2 a thermometer that slipped out of its holder ad I could no longer get a reading from. the red ball certainly attracted my old bettas.
Some bettas are natural nomers on anything dropped in their tanks, others arr... meh, maybe if you play with him and made feeding a game, You can get him excited about food :D
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #4 
craiger75

Yeah, I'm having similar issues. I have two different brands of pellets and tried almost everything with them. He goes for them but then he either spits them out b4 becoming gravel fodder, or they languish around the edge of the tank. The bloodworms on the other hand, he goes nuts for! I dunno if that's all he got where he came from b4 or wat, but I think I'm going to try a couple of more tricks including trying to feed him more directly (thx 4 the tip). Start over after I do the pea thing, or just feed him bloodworms, daphnia, brine shrimp and other things I've read they like.... Spoiled, lil brat already! Good luck with yours :)

Last edited by craiger75; 05-30-2012 at 09:39 PM.
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #5 
jeffegg2

Cool

Mine are not crazy about pellets as well. They are not that fond of flakes either. But all like the frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp!!!

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #6 
Danibunkins

If he's new to pellets ... it may take a few days. Caesar used to spit them out and then take them back.

Now, he's just a pig and eats whatever I throw in the tank ;)
Danibunkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #7 
lelei

Ok, guys I actually had the same prob..and seem to find that Sammy loves micro pellets, the reg size for some reason..they don't like em, our sammy always just spit em out..and made me think he just didn't want to eat..until I found "HaikariGold" micro pellets, and he loves em soo much..what a difference they have made, and they float, and he grabs em right away..never sink..and I know exactly what he's eating and how much..I suggest you try em..because I find a few people that have the same prob with thier betta's found that micro pellets work better..Good luck:) I hope you have as much luck as I did..(I also tried flakes) no go..and freeze dried bloodworms..not..only Haikari Gold..(sammy is picky) ..but I guess this stuff is a higher standard..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote