Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2012, 03:37 AM   #1 
FishyFishy89

Experience my Wrath!!!

So....tonight (actually an hour or so ago) i was planning on testing Spike's water/scrubbing off the brown algae that accumulated. Ran the test, *hums to self*.....ammonia spiking?? Maybe bad test strip....ran another....ammonia IS spiking!!!
Scoops up fishy *whom is begging for food (or attention) as always* and begins to drain tank down to 30 or 50%
I already had a scenery idea spark so I was pulling plants. I had placed a somewhat bushy plant in the corner beside the heater. And when I pulled that plant out popped a pleco!!! My reactions: ..........
My attention was now turned to my LOVELY husband whom had been asking me "why don't you get one of those tank sucker fishys??" To which I've explained time and time again as to WHY one should NOT be stuffed into Spike's tank. "It will get too big, it poos too much, it will cause ammonia spiking, Spike may not be happy about his new friend etc etc etc"
After changing water, adding new scenery and conditioning water I storm into the bedroom where a sleeping husband awaits me. I fling the covers off him and ask...no DEMAND "did you put a pleco in Spike's tank????!!!!" To which a bumbling husband says "twas just trying to help"
Now from day 1 he was warned that I am very OCD about my fish tanks and there are only ONE approved person who touches my tanks and she only touches my tanks when I go out of town. He knows better than to question me when it comes to their PERFECT set ups. He was also warned again of my OCD behavior when we purchased the 75 gallon.

Needless to say, he is now sleeping on the couch and the dogs have taken his spot on the bed. Mr. Clean (as I have temporarily dubbed him) is now chilling in the 2.5 gallon hospital tank. All of our towels are currently at mom n dads (forgot to finish the laundry xD) and the 75 gallon has no lid. Tomorrow I will pick up the towels, set up the 75 gallon/plop him in there.

He looks so pale/there was TONS of poo in that corner. Lord knows Spike was a butt head to him/he was hiding from him. I had wondered why Spike was getting so worked up about that corner. I just figured he saw himself and was buffing up.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:28 AM   #2 
Sheldon31

Poor hubby probably thinks he did good. But no seriously I'd have probably reacted the same way. He ignored your wishes and that's enough to peev anyone off. I hope mr clean is ok and I hope he'll love his new home. How big is he now?
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #3 
Ramble

Aww...poor Pleco! Good thing you have a decent sized tank for him. Perhaps when it gets bigger your hubby will realize why it shouldn't have been in the betta tank...
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #4 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon31 View Post
Poor hubby probably thinks he did good. But no seriously I'd have probably reacted the same way. He ignored your wishes and that's enough to peev anyone off. I hope mr clean is ok and I hope he'll love his new home. How big is he now?
I know he was trying to do right. Now that I've had to night to sleep it off I understand and appreciate the fact that he was wanting to help. I told him if he wanted to help me so bad then take me to Petco so I can get a nerite snail like I had been asking him. My car is currently in the shop, so there isn't much I can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Aww...poor Pleco! Good thing you have a decent sized tank for him. Perhaps when it gets bigger your hubby will realize why it shouldn't have been in the betta tank...
One would hope so. He would probably just mention how long it took the pleco to get that big

On a good note, Mr. Clean's scales have darkened up. He seems happier. I did a 30% water change in the 2.5 gallon to reduce the ammonia/gave him an algae tablet. So far it seems like clinging to something upside down is his favorite thing.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #5 
Shadyr

But you get to play with a 75 gallon tank now! The world is your aquascaping oyster!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #6 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
But you get to play with a 75 gallon tank now! The world is your aquascaping oyster!
LOL
I need more plants!!!
Why does just about every live aquatic plant have to be green?!
Old 05-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #7 
Shadyr

Not sure where you are located, but I ran across this place (no idea how reputable they are, but I've been having fun looking at their stock!) while daydreaming about the sorority tank I want to build after our family vacation in July.

http://www.azgardens.com/default.aspx
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #8 
Silverfang

haha! I hope he learned his lesson. It's also nice that he wants to help, why not ask for his help when deciding between two plants, or two fish? That way you know it will be safe and what you want, and he gets to help? Just a thought.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #9 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
haha! I hope he learned his lesson. It's also nice that he wants to help, why not ask for his help when deciding between two plants, or two fish? That way you know it will be safe and what you want, and he gets to help? Just a thought.
I've always asked for his help when pertaining to those things. He's helped decide what the 75 gallon is going to be home to. What plants we are going to be using. Where the tank is going to get set up. What substrate, what decor, etc, etc, etc.

just gimme that neitrate snail :P
Old 05-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #10 
Silverfang

*hides her nerites!*
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote