Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #41 
Sena Hansler

oh those greedy buggers hahaha.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #42 
WoodenFlashlight

Oh my god! That jerk at the pet store told us that they would be fine! I am just now writing up a thread about two of our fishes we had fed black worms [we're throwing them away now.] and Pangur Ban, one of our new boys, had a 'pointed' stomach this morning. But it's gone now. Whatever caused it has moved on, his shape looks completely normal... I'm so sorry for your loss... We're going to have WORDS with that pet store man. Serious, serious words.

Last edited by Sakura8; 06-30-2012 at 09:50 PM.
WoodenFlashlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #43 
Sakura8

Wooden, did your fish look like this?

Name:  Train1.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  32.9 KB
Name:  Train4.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  31.5 KB

In Train's case, he could never pass that weird pointed blockage. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #44 
WoodenFlashlight

She says that it looks sort of like that but smaller, a lot smaller. It never got that bad, she says, and he no longer has it. It appears he's passed it. I'd like it if you could come to the thread and tell us your opinion about it. We have a 1gallon set of water that's been treated with Aquarium salts, Stresscoat +, and Quick Cure. And, a seperate one gallon with MELAFIX in it instead of Quick Cure. Both are setting up to equalize in temperature before we change it, and we want to know if we should

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....16#post1136216 Here's the thread if you wouldn't mind looking, just because Pangur had close to the same thing.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #45 
Nasha66

is train still alive, or did you have to euthanize?
Nasha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #46 
WoodenFlashlight

Just thought I'd mention, we found the blockage Pangur passed and it was massive, pretty much the size of the head of a sewing pin. Which is huge for a wee little Betta. I really hope Train was able to pass his, too, but if you had to Euth him, I'm terribly sorry. You have my condolences.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #47 
Sakura8

:( I'm afraid I had to euthanize him. Or rather, I couldn't do it so I had my veterinary clinic. He went for a week with that blockage never budging and I realized he must have been terribly uncomfortable. He got more lethargic as the days went on.

Live foods can be great, especially for conditioning fish to breed. I just really wish I had done my research beforehand and known about the risks of blackworms. And, for that matter, known that what I was sold as bloodworms were really blackworms.

Wooden, wow. That does sound incredibly uncomfortable. Pangur must feel a whole lot better now. :)
Old 07-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #48 
noellezim

im sorry for train, thats why I like freeze dried.... I feel as though are safer, maybe not as tasty... I don't eat worms...
noellezim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #49 
LyzzaRyzz

What exactly is daphnia? And mosquito cultures, how do you keep them from actually turning into Mosquitos? Do you have to do it outside?
Posted via Mobile Device
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #50 
Sakura8

Daphnia are "water fleas." They are little crustaceous bugs of some sort that you can culture outside if you have lots of green water (algae-infested water). Mosquito larvae . . . those you have to harvest frequently or yes, they do turn into mosquitoes. You do have to culture both outside. Be aware that your city/state may have restrictions against purposefully keeping standing water and growing mosquitoes because of the West Nile virus epidemic. Otherwise:

Get a big bin of some sort (helps if it is dark colored, seems to attract the mosquitoes) and fill with dechlorinated hose water. Add lots of dead leaves and vegetation and leave in the sun for a few days until you start to see algae. Then move it into a place where it gets partial shade. You will soon see little "rafts" of mosquito eggs on the leaves. When they hatch into larvae, harvest them with a brine shrimp net. Rinse the larvae under tap water before feeding. Even if you can't use all the larvae, harvest them after a few days to prevent them from turning into mosquitoes.