Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #1 
Cinderwolf

Interested in a small NPT

Has anyone had any success with a small ( think 3 gal KK ) Natural planted tank.

I am seriously considering a small tank for my bedroom with another betta male in it, but I woudl loveot have a go at a NPT , sicne I cant maintain the water changes of another tank that woudl need 100% weekly.

I am under the understanding NPT dotn need completel water changes, rathe rjust small ones, like a cycled tank. I s that true, or am I mistaken?

If I can do a NPT , what substrate woudl you suggest, and how many plants woudl i need to get the right amoutn of ammonia consumption?

Anyone have any photos of small NPTs or success stories?

I am jsut considering it fro now, and if i do decide to do it, it wont be for a long while yet. Just thought I should starting researchign and such now.
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:20 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

sure :) I plant my half gallons. you DO need sufficient lighting, that is one of the most important things. A mixture of fast growing plants, slow growing plants and floating is a good way to start. Dont overstock plants and test water regularly as you would be doing if you were cycling a tank. when levels don't stabilize at 0 add more (your fast growing plants will be ...fast growing and you can propagate, diacard or sell)

Substrate.. :) you should look up some of Old Fish Lady's posts, she's a master at this. but basically the best substrate is a neutral PH organic potting mix without any fertilizers. You will have to consult the expert out there about the details as I havent tried this method yet.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:26 AM   #3 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
sure :) I plant my half gallons. you DO need sufficient lighting, that is one of the most important things. A mixture of fast growing plants, slow growing plants and floating is a good way to start. Dont overstock plants and test water regularly as you would be doing if you were cycling a tank. when levels don't stabilize at 0 add more (your fast growing plants will be ...fast growing and you can propagate, diacard or sell)

Substrate.. :) you should look up some of Old Fish Lady's posts, she's a master at this. but basically the best substrate is a neutral PH organic potting mix without any fertilizers. You will have to consult the expert out there about the details as I haven't tried this method yet.
yes , for lightign I figured I would just get a desk lamp then I can have high lighting

I'll see if anyone replies about substrate lol I was thinking , the potting soil with a cap of play sand ( since .. lets face it.. I have a lot left over from mt 6 gal LOL) I will have to look into it though. I would need the tank to be pretty small, so I was thinking the kritter keeper but I am not sure yet. plus I dont even know if I can set it up haha.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:38 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

:D I support you, but dont do half Gals, Lol, I have juvies in mine, and I already think the plant takes up too much space
Old 05-30-2012, 04:50 AM   #5 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
:D I support you, but dont do half Gals, Lol, I have juvies in mine, and I already think the plant takes up too much space
yea, I am thinking 3 gals. half gal woudl be full of plants lol no room for the fish
Old 05-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Pretty betta btw :D I was always told crown tails are fiercer, So I have a "admire buy do not touch" situation whenever I want to buy one. But they are purty :/
Old 05-30-2012, 05:11 AM   #7 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
Pretty betta btw :D I was always told crown tails are fiercer, So I have a "admire buy do not touch" situation whenever I want to buy one. But they are purty :/
hehe he isn;t super mean or anything, but I havent seen him crown tail for a long time since he is a biter : P rotten animal. LOL
Old 05-30-2012, 05:20 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

aw D: hopefully some pretty plants will give him enough distractions :D Did you try a mirror?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #9 
Shadyr

I don't have much experience with *non* crowntails...three of my four are CTs.

Lesseee...one is a total sweetie....one is pretty shy, but will flare if given the right incentive, and then there is Ghost, who does try to take my finger off when I hand feed him pellets. But then, so does my Half Moon, so the jury is out...

Anyway, I have Ghost in a 2.5 mini bow. I replaced the bulb it came with and got a CFL. He's in a room with good diffuse natural light and I leave his tank light on during the day too. He has a moss ball, moneywort, and a banana plant in his tank. The moneywort bundle had some casualties at first, but the stalks that made it are recovering nicely, and the others seem perfectly fine.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #10 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
aw D: hopefully some pretty plants will give him enough distractions :D Did you try a mirror?
I have tried everything , haha, mirrors, tons of plants, not so many plants, back ground, no back ground, lights off lights on, filter baffled, filter unbaffled. He is just a brat : P

If I start up a second tank , Bennie will keep his 5 gallon, and I will put a new fish in the small tank.