Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #1 
vaw103

Talking Betta and Gourami?

Hey everyone!

So yesterday I went to petco to buy a breeding net, and came home with a 15 gallon tank, oops! (But it was on sale super cheap, so I couldn't help myself )

I feel in love with Drarwf Gouramis recently and would love to get two, but I'm wondering how they might pair with a betta? I know that Gouramis can be territorial, but I'm thinking that if I can pull it off in a planted tank?

I also have platy fry right now, so I'll be adding them once they're large enough to not become someone's snack.

I was also wondering if anybody knows anything about blue lobsters? I saw one at PetCo the other day. It was about 3 inches long, but it was new, so they didn't have a tag with any information on it. Are they aggressive (which I'm thinking that they are, since they have giant pincers)? Or how big do they get? I'm making my new tank beach-themed, so I just think that it would be really cool to have a lobster running around the sand, lol.

Oh! And one more question (last one I promise!)! I was wondering about stocking order? With my current ten gallon, I stocked my platys first, then added my betta after a few weeks. Should I do the same with this tank? Platys, Gouramis, then Betta?

I really appreciate any input !

Last edited by vaw103; 05-30-2012 at 01:13 PM.
vaw103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #2 
michbelle

Hey there, I'm kind of new here too. But I have read and heard that when ever
you are putting a betta in a community tank that you should always put it in last.

I don't want to give you any false info though but that is my little bit of input for ya.
michbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #3 
dbooknook

Bettas and Gouramis are both antabatiods, meaning the are fish that breathe air and water. They will not go very good together.
dbooknook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #4 
Gamma

I'm pretty sure that Drarwf Gouramis is not the best tank mate for a betta. They have very simlar terroiry problems. I think that you should be careful with mixing them and bettas.
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #5 
vaw103

If you all think that it would be an issue, I won't try it. I definitely don't want any dead fish!

Thanks, everyone!
Old 05-31-2012, 01:13 AM   #6 
Bombalurina

Yep, definitely not a good idea to mix the two. Both are closely related and pretty territorial.

As for the other fish - is your water hard or soft? It's important in terms of which tankmates you can have. Tetras will live longer, healthier lives in soft water, for instance, whilst livebearers will not do well in it.

Make sure you also know your pH. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

I got a betta from a tank of such aggressive fishies. Nuh uh you'll deal with death or seevre injury in no time. Bettas are a part of the gourami family, actually.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Betta and gourami are both found in the same shallow regions. They compete for the same resources in nature and this makes them very aggressive towards one another. They can "smell" their competitor and instinctively get very aggressive, since in a shallow stream resources can be scarce and they will not want to share. As a general rule, there's only room for one anabantid in a tank. Some gourami like sparkling are more peaceful and like to live in groups, they'd ignore a betta, but I would opt for something else in your 15.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaw103 View Post
Hey everyone!

So yesterday I went to petco to buy a breeding net, and came home with a 15 gallon tank, oops! (But it was on sale super cheap, so I couldn't help myself )

I feel in love with Drarwf Gouramis recently and would love to get two, but I'm wondering how they might pair with a betta? I know that Gouramis can be territorial, but I'm thinking that if I can pull it off in a planted tank?

I also have platy fry right now, so I'll be adding them once they're large enough to not become someone's snack.

I was also wondering if anybody knows anything about blue lobsters? I saw one at PetCo the other day. It was about 3 inches long, but it was new, so they didn't have a tag with any information on it. Are they aggressive (which I'm thinking that they are, since they have giant pincers)? Or how big do they get? I'm making my new tank beach-themed, so I just think that it would be really cool to have a lobster running around the sand, lol.

Oh! And one more question (last one I promise!)! I was wondering about stocking order? With my current ten gallon, I stocked my platys first, then added my betta after a few weeks. Should I do the same with this tank? Platys, Gouramis, then Betta?

I really appreciate any input !
I don't know about blue lobsters, I've never seen one.

Yes, start with the least aggressive fish before adding the aggressors. Gouramis (lik bettas) can be territorial.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #10 
vaw103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Yep, definitely not a good idea to mix the two. Both are closely related and pretty territorial.

As for the other fish - is your water hard or soft? It's important in terms of which tankmates you can have. Tetras will live longer, healthier lives in soft water, for instance, whilst livebearers will not do well in it.

Make sure you also know your pH. :)
I've never actually tested the hardness of my water, but I know that it's high. I have well water which a pH that's off the charts of APIs high range pH test kit. PetCo says my pH is upper 8's pushing 9.0. I didn't know that was even possible!

Tags
betta, gourami, platy