Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #1 
littlegreen

Advice, please. The betta I'm babysitting is dead.

I'm babysitting a betta for the summer. I just went to look at him, and he's dead. I'm not sure how he died. Right now, that's not my concern. I just don't know what to do, or how to tell his owner that he's passed. I don't know her that well, but she trusted me with her fish. I don't know how old he was, but I do know that for a long period of time he was kept in a container that contained less than a half gallon of water, so I'm thinking that may have shortened his lifespan. But that's not really important right now, I'm sorry if I'm rambling, I'm just at a loss. How do I tell his owner that her fish is dead?
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #2 
Luimeril

just tell her... 'i'm sorry, but your betta passed away the other day.' explain to her that you don't know how he passed, but his tiny tank may have had a part in it. use this, to help educate her in good betta care. :V if you want to, offer to help her pick out a new betta and a good-size tank.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #3 
littlegreen

I've been helping this betta for a long time. When he was in that tiny bowl, I gave his owner a 1 gallon jar. Since bringing him home (a month ago maybe), I've been keeping him in a 2.5 gallon drum with a nice hiding space...so hopefully he died happy. I was planning on giving her the drum when I got back to school.
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #4 
Luimeril

i'm sure he was super happy in your care. .3. as i said, just explain to her that he passed away, you're not sure why, and offer to help her pick out a new betta, if you want. i'm sure it wasn't anything you did. he could have been old, could have been ill already, any number of things...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #5 
Ramble

Just be honest. Like Luimeril said, tell her that the fish had died, and you don't know what happened. Offering to help her pick out another healthy fish and set up is a great idea.
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #6 
Pasqua

I'm really sorry to hear what happened. =(

When I was younger, I always wanted a pet. In particular, a puppy. I didn't get one until I had finished school but she was my baby and I loved her, she went everywhere with me for the first few months!
To cut a long story short, I went on holidays and left her with a friend I had known just that year from uni. She escaped the yard, was hit by a car on a busy main road and didn't survive the night.

Its terrible hearing bad news like that but I have never felt any resentment or anger or anything at all negative towards my friend. It was not her fault, and I would never hold her at all responsible, although I think she felt really guilty about it.

Basically I guess my point is, just be honest and sincere. Tell her what happened. Tell her you are sorry about her fish. And let time do the rest.

Lol in between feeling really sad about my dog I spent a lot of time worrying that my friend was worried that I was mad or upset with her. So please don't worry or blame yourself. It could have happened to anyone, and may have been, like you suggest, completely unrelated to anything you did directly.

Good luck with telling your friend.
Pasqua is offline   Reply With Quote