Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #1 
bettaboytroy

What makes a show betta?

I was looking at another thread and the author was showing what I thought were beautiful fish. He was asking for peoples opinions and was getting some replys. "Anal fin is too long was one". I like many think they are all beautiful fish but it got me wondering what does a perfect betta look like? I'm not breeding for money or shows but it would be interesting to see a fish and be able to discern good traits. can someone explain what a judge would look for at a betta show? Would be great to have pictures depicting what is a good trait and what is a bad trait. What is all involved (finnage, size, color?)

Think it would be cool to walk in a pet store and look at the fish and know more than "this one is pretty".

Thanks!
bettaboytroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #2 
lvandert

I don't have a pic of a show HM but I'm sure someone will be along that does. Although I do have a good show HMPK. I'm not a show breeder I just happened to pick him up and got lucky. You see how his dorsal fin and tail fin curve together almost perfectly? almost like its the edge of a circle. For HM you want that edge of a circle all the way around from dorsal to anal. when we say "the anal is too long" it means the anal fin is too long to make a circle. Mr V should come around and explain it all. He's the one to talk to about getting the specs on what make a show fish. Or BasementBettas, or OFL :P or anyone else who knows about it :P
Attached Images

lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think that this is a good question for Basement Bettas and Martinsmommy to answer. Thry're both show breeders.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #4 
KadenJames

There are many different standards for every different finnage type. You've got-

Crowntail
Traditional plakat
Asymmetrical halfmoon plakat
Symmetrical halfmoon plakat
Halfmoon
Doubletail

A good website to check out show standards is www.bettaterritory.nl Joep is the creator of the site and has very detailed information on Betta show standards, and he even has 3D model renders of "perfect" bettas. Go to his site and click on "Bettas4All Standards" towards the top. I'd pull some info and pictures from his site but I'm on my phone at the moment, it would take a long time. xD
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #5 
Fabian

I want to learn too!!
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #6 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I think that this is a good question for Basement Bettas and Martinsmommy to answer. Thry're both show breeders.
Past my bedtime so off to catch some z's. Will dig up some pics of HM's from AB and try to get some examples. Suppose I got to figure out how to post pics too.. anywho.. more tomorrow.. or later today. If someone can give the me low down on posting photos or a link so don't have to search much would appreciate it.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #7 
lvandert

at the bottom click "go advanced" once on that screen you want to scroll down a bit and find "manage attachments" a second window will pop up and that you select "choose file" which will bring up your pictures library. find the picture you want and select it. then hit "upload" after that you'll have to wait for it to upload and thats pretty much it. When you hit submit reply it'll be attached to the bottom of your post
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #8 
Martinismommy

Here are 7 of my Best in Show winners and 2 of my reserve Best in Show Champions..These fish were judged at IBC shows...I am the current #1 Betta breeder in North America so these fish are good examples of what judges look for symmetry and balance.
Martinismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #9 
Martinismommy

Here are 2 more examples of close to perfect show form and finnage...These 2 brothers were never shown..They were retained for breeding...They are brothers to the red/white blue BOS male on the left in the middle
Martinismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #10 
registereduser

Google "betta show standards" it's really interesting, especially when you go to the google images for that search.

Wow on the show fishies above! Wish I had the time, patience and $$ to breed.

Last edited by registereduser; 05-27-2012 at 10:30 AM.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote