Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #1 
Enkil

Suggestions?

So here is the problem...

We have ants. A lot of them. So far, nothing we have done has stopped this problem. Aunt traps and baiting have not worked. We are now out of cedarcide spray. The cedarcide killed them but did not repel them from returning.

So now we are looking at bombing to hit them all at once. As you can imagine, this is causing anxiety on my part because of my aquariums. So the questions...

Is bombing the only way? If so, how do I protect my fish and tanks? If not, what else can be done?
It has to be relatively safe if not a bomb since we do have a young child, 2 dogs, and a puppy in the house as well.
Also, if we do have to use bombs, should I steam the floors before allowing the puppy on them again? He has this odd fascination with licking the hardwood and linoleum floors.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #2 
lvandert

Get tarro, I believe its called that. It is a bait that is a poison. It's sweet but deadly. They fill up on it, take it to the hive and distribute it among their fellow ants. Which causes them to send more ants to get more of the food. After a couple hours the poison takes affect and kills them off. No more ants. And by then the whole nest has had some, therefore no more nest. I love the stuff. It always works for me. You can also hide it in small places where puppies and kids can't get it. You just put a drop on a piece of cardboard
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #3 
Enkil

We were using that or something similar to it a few months ago. It didn't eliminate the problem, but did lessen it. I'll have to see if I can find more of it. Dealing with baiting would definitely be better than bombing, in my opinion.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:39 AM   #4 
lvandert

Yeah, especially with little ones and puppies around. Here's what I have and it works great every time. I was spelling it wrong, lol. I'm an atrocious speller

http://www.amazon.com/Terro-Ant-Kill.../dp/B0028A5CNA
Old 05-31-2012, 12:54 AM   #5 
Enkil

Thank you. We'll definitely have to give it a try and see if it at least helps. We mainly have sugar ants but carpenter ants are starting to come in now too. I like the cedarcided because then I can take out spiders with a simple squirt from a safe distance. XD
I just don't really feel comfortable with the idea of bombing the house. Too many factors you can't control, in my opinion.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:25 AM   #6 
thekoimaiden

I second the terro recommendation! We used it in our apartment where we had a horrible ant infestation. They even made a nest under the carpet! We set down multiple terro traps and kept at it for months. That combined with spray and careful cleaning finally got rid of them. I don't blame you for being nervous about bombing your home.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:35 AM   #7 
Enkil

Good grief!
We find them in mass and are like "... o_o Where did they come from?" Wont find any trail. Just ants. It's crazy! Last time I experienced anything like this was when I lived in NC and that was fire ants that would take over your yard. Living in OR is turning out to be a very different experience. They just kind of infest your home and you never know where you'll find them next.

One thing I can say about these ants though... Freydis LOVES when one makes the mistake of falling into my sorority. Doesn't happen very often, but I always know when it does. She immediately begins her hunt.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #8 
lvandert

lol yeah it works really good on sugar ants. Our old apartment was trashed due to some unruly roommates that were forced to leave so there was like food and other very unpleasant things shoved every where. We got most everything (cleaned for a week straight before I moved anything in) but its hard to get ALL of the food. After a month of that terro, ants gone :) My parents used it all the time when I was little so I remembered the box, not the name lol.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #9 
lelei

Wow..thanks for posting that..I too (especially in the warmer weather) have an army of carpenter ants..uggh, then my daughter leaves her backpack sitting there, with all kinds of food crumbs..(you can imagine) what I find..so I am going to get that very soon..adios ants..hopefully for the whole summer!!!
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #10 
Enkil

I live with a 4 year old, 3 men, 2 other women (1 part time), 2 dogs, and a puppy... Needless to say, bits of food do get dropped. There's no getting around that. And in a house this big... Easy to miss things when I'm cleaning, plus the only bedroom I clean is ours and Kacey's. And they go after the strangest things! Like dog food. Once, they were even going after some lettuce. It was the strangest thing!