Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #1 
HermitGuy101

Red face Let's Get Happy, Cosmo :)

So Cosmo has been looking a bit sickly lately. I gave him some Maracyn 2 and he perked right up. Yesterday I dragged my dad over to Walmart and I got Cosmo a Whisper 3i Internal Filter and it's working AMAZINGLY! And.... A couple weeks ago, I updated the aquarium (1 Gal), Gravel, Heater and Decor.

On the non-betta side, I purchased a couple of goldfish and a snail. One fantail and one black moor.

Yes, That pic is 3D. Cross your eyes to view.

Last edited by HermitGuy101; 05-30-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Adding 3D Photo
HermitGuy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

Your picture is really tiny. Is there any way you can post a larger one? I can't see it enough to tell that I need to cross my eyes. :p

What size tank have you got for the goldies? :) I'm jealous - you have the two types that I want.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #3 
HermitGuy101

I've got a five gallon. People say that's small, but really, It's a fish. Plus they're really happy.

And yes, I'll post a larger pic.
HermitGuy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Actually, that really is too small. Great for a betta, but bettas have small bioloads and get 2.5 inches. The species of goldfish that you have get 6 inches minimum (black moores get as large as ten inches) and have massive bioloads. Keeping them in a tank that is too small is going to end up with unhealthy, stunted goldfish that will only live a couple of years instead of the 10+ years they could easily achieve in a larger tank.

"Happy" isn't really something you can use to describe fish. They don't feel emotion. They are currently healthy, but with the amount of ammonia they are producing, they won't stay that way long. "It's a fish" isn't an excuse to give them what amounts to a dangerous environment.

I'm not trying to nag or criticise you, but for their sake it is really important that you upgrade their tank or rehome them ASAP.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #5 
thekoimaiden

People use the "it's just a fish" argument to justify keeping bettas in 1/2 gal unheated aquariums. If it applies to bettas; it applies to goldfish. Both are fish.

Bomba is very right. A 5 gal is too small for a goldfish of any size. Due to the nature of their digestive systems they produce a ton more ammonia than other fish of the same size. Not to mention that goldfish commonly grow 6+ inches. Black moores and fantails tend to get larger than some of the other breeds and can top 10 inches. My fantail is pushing 10 inches. Right now a 10 gal is a minimum, but the tank will need daily water changes. Those two fish will ultimately need a cycled 40+ gallon tank and possibly live 10-15 years.

Honestly, most people aren't prepared for a commitment like this. If you aren't prepared to give them this kind of care, you should return them to the store. We're not picking on you; it's just a fact. It's kinda like buying a bed and then realizing that it is just too big for your room; there is no harm in returning it, but it should be done for your comfort.

Happiness isn't something that fish feel, but they do feel stress. And the stress from the ammonia buildup in a tank of that size is going to cause disease. I've seen this before with other people who kept goldfish in a 5 gal tank.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goldfish, maracyn 2, tetra, whisper 3