Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 01:03 AM   #1 
craiger75

Question Bettas and Neon Tetras: A Good Match or Am I Getting Played?

Once I have a larger aquarium, I wud like to add a tetra or tetras at some point, or other species I've had my eye on and read bettas tolerate. Things to watch out 4 r bright coloring, fin and overall size. I'm partial to the tetras but they strike me as about as "brightly colored" as u can get. So, my question is; are tetras a safe choice or am I being misinformed? My guy doesn't strike me as particularly aggressive but I'm not looking to find out.

Thx in advance 4 the advice.... I gotta say, I've really gotten into this betta, and overall aquarium culture the past few days My cats r pizzed tho

Last edited by craiger75; 05-31-2012 at 01:12 AM.
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

What size is your tank? It needs to be at least ten gallons, more being better.

It is dependent on a lot of things as to whether tetras will be good tankmates. What species of tetra? Is the betta docile? Most importantly, is your water right for tetras (soft, low pH)?

My current females live happily with ember tetras, but my previous female would never have tolerated them.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:20 AM   #3 
craiger75

Yeah, based on wat im reading in the forums I mite wanna hold off on this for a bit. I was thinking a five gallon (possibly ten or more) but i don't wanna over bioload, or have a bloodbath in my tank! It's odd just having one fish, but he's a loner like me. I think that's why im drawn to this particular species - lol!

Thx mate... cheers!
Old 05-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Glad to be of help. :) Good luck with future fishing! :)
Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

Yes, like Bom says... at least a 10g tank or more for Tetras. Some types of Tetras can be quite aggressive and nippy with Bettas and their long fins. It's not only the Betta you gotta worry about with aggression. And most Tetras need groups of 5-6+ to feel secure and safe, which keeps them healthy and your Betta healthy as well :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:28 PM   #6 
craiger75

Upon further review, the fish I was actually thinking of were Glofish (actually a type of Danio). That wud prolly require at least 20-30 gallons. They're shoal'ers, so yeah i wud need several or more.

They're fast movers but very brightly colored so like i said, i think he's going to be a rugged individualist after all.

Last edited by craiger75; 05-31-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #7 
Bombalurina

Usually bright colours aren't nearly so much of a problem as long fins. Colours can still be a problem, of course, but long fins are much more tempting for bettas. :p For instance, I'd recommend Endlers Livebearers over guppies, because Endlers still have the lovely colour without the long fins. :)
Old 06-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #8 
Sheldon31

Biggest problem with Neons is nipping. Neons can get nippy sometimes. Mine have their moments. Danios are very fast moving and are active 99% of the time and this can sometimes stress a betta out.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #9 
Bladezero

I have neon tetras with my betta, they lived for about a month in peace with Merlin in the 10g until one day they started nipping him so I moved them to Oscar..(he has "some" aggression problems)
Lets just say they are afraid to go near a betta now.. now they are living peacefully with Fang :) (all alive and well)
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #10 
LucyTraci

I am very unsure too of what to do. The last thing I want is a stressed out betta or a stressed out school of tetras.
LucyTraci is offline   Reply With Quote