indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forum.
We'd love pictures :)
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #12 
Pasqua

Welcome Craig!

Glad to hear one of those wedding bettas found a loving home =)
Do you have a pic? Ill bet he was happy to be going home with you lol
Pasqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

I think for my wedding I could use bettas... But only my own xD Or have homes for them. Or keep them.

I think it's awesome you got one!!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #14 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiger75 View Post
Long story short, I've had a bit of a fascination with these fish since I saw the movie "Rumble Fish" back in the early 80s. Last year, I thought I might like to have an aquarium again and keep a Siamese Fighting Fish. I was worried about the expense though, and being able to keep one warm enough in tough Upstate New York winters. so, I put the idea out of my mind.

This past week, I attended my wife's friend's wedding. Sitting in the middle of every table was a glass jar with a fish in each one. Low-and-behold it was a Betta! Well, after several headaches, and over fifty dollars later I finally have my rumble fish!

The idea that they are easy to keep versus what I've read and experienced falls somewhere in-between. But, I really am enjoying it! I guess I have a hobby now, whether I wanted one or not He's a cutie though. I really appreciate getting him, even if I was ready to break the jar over the blushing bride's head after the trips to two different pet stores to get most of what he should have
If you are still looking for a tank, I was on craigslist the other day and I think you should take a look at this link
http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/hsh/3028736172.html
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #15 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Not sure if all of you know about the website Pinterest, but tons of people post photos of bettas in vases or bettas for wedding decor.

I try to leave a comment that sounds nice, not an "attack", but gently say something like this: "Oh that is very pretty but did you know that they need this kind of care?" Then I leave a link to a web page that talks about proper betta care. Or I say "That is pretty but would your guests be sent home with a care sheet as well- you know bettas suffer if kept in that set up for much longer than your wedding reception?"

People don't know this but I think informing people nicely is kind of our job as betta people. If anyone joins Pinterest please search "bettas" and do the same . .. the betta vases and betta teeny tiny bowls are going viral on Pinterest and that is very bad news unless people say something about it.

These are just some examples you guys might want to see, I hope you can see it without "joining" Pinterest. . I don't know.

http://pinterest.com/pin/219128338089602207/

http://pinterest.com/pin/189151253069794292/

http://pinterest.com/pin/47358233551631701/

http://pinterest.com/pin/197736239859304731/

Last edited by mursey; 06-07-2012 at 02:06 AM. Reason: adding a link
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #16 
mursey

http://pinterest.com/pin/233131718180983954/

Another one
Old 06-07-2012, 02:17 AM   #17 
mursey

http://pinterest.com/pin/109564203404886414/

Ugh. So small.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #18 
lelei

These are offensive, especially the one on the wall..I cannot understand why someone would even want their fishy on the WALL!!..and the Coffe pot one..puleese!!! That really irks the heck out of me..this is not fair..and if someone thinks that is better than a (cup in a store) they best think again..a plant and a couple of rocks does not change the fact that those fishy's have NO room to move!!!!
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #19 
lelei

After viewing all of those links..I am truly appalled. I am glad there are some people who are giving some advise on how to properly take care of betta's..and to see that there are others that are just as upset as I am. I will join just to leave some feedback as well. The more people beleive that a Betta is a fashion Accessory, the more ways that people will devise how to Mistreat them!!
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #20 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
These are offensive, especially the one on the wall..I cannot understand why someone would even want their fishy on the WALL!!..and the Coffe pot one..puleese!!! That really irks the heck out of me..this is not fair..and if someone thinks that is better than a (cup in a store) they best think again..a plant and a couple of rocks does not change the fact that those fishy's have NO room to move!!!!
The wall one literally is sold as "great for those without space!" Except when you get a pet, YOU MUST HAVE THE SPACE! -facepalm- It's for people who''d rather just... not waste space on an animal. Also why guinea pigs get those glorified litter boxes for homes, or birds get a canary cage (my budgie has a parakeet cage, tall!), or fish go on walls it's ridiculous.

Personally I use 1 gallons :3 But I like the wider rather than taller ones. Because you can give them a cave or plant.... and rocks... without them being unable to move.

Although I do giggle at the coffee pot one.... LOL what were they thinking?! Sure it's....innovative.....but..... ..... really?
edit: the purple betta one... I have that bowl o_o but um... I use it for water changes xD
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote