Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 03:31 AM   #1 
craiger75

Question Docility (if thats a word) in Bettas... What Am I Looking For?

So, if I stick my hand in the tank and he doesn't shy away, is he more aggressive than if he say, goes to the bottom or hides in the plants? Wat am i looking for essentially? Truth be told. I haven't tried interacting with him like that yet, bc i don't want to get him riled and stress him out.
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #2 
lelei

Well, for the most part I observe my fishy..from the glass..to see what he sees when I put my hand in..in the begining, he always swam away..but immediately came right back, if I started taking my hand out..so I knew he was trying to (get to know me) so every time I opened the cover to feed him, he started getting exited, and while he was eating, I would wiggle my finger, or just keep adjusting a plant, so he could get used to seeing a hand come in and out, and not try to touch him, he now loves to observe me, and watch everything I do,
he knows when I come to feed him in the morning, and when I leave the room..I see him ( like a child looking thru the window) after I leave to see when I am coming back..It's a beautiful thing..:)

Now I am even feeding him from my finger, and he is jumping, and doing tricks..it's so very cool, it takes a lil time, but if you let your fishy get to know you..and you get to know him/her, observe closely all the cute things they do..it's qwite an adorable bonding and co-bonding..that you will treasure!!
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #3 
Babydoll

well i was really looking for a calm male betta.. and the one i got actually turned out to be my most aggressive once he got into his home. I guess since it was prob the first time he hand a huge place to swim and loved it he was protective. But i recently bought three females and i have a little white one named luna and she will interact with my hands and i have at least two bettas that will let me pet them. :)
Babydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #4 
JKfish

Not swimming away doesn't mean he is aggressive... Panache, my hmpk is just about the sweetest betta I have ever had, he never flares and doesn't hurt the snails. :) he dosen't attack my finger and try to bite it, he merely hovers next to it and looks. if they are accustomed to your hand, and are trained to know that your hand means food, they will not swim away, regardless of their temperament.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote