Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #1 
Sivan

Shiny coloration under gills

I'm just a worrier but today I noticed something on Crusoe I do not like and noticed he has had a change in behavior. Normally he is always swimming around and immediately comes out of his hiding spot when I approach the tank. His motions are usually fluid and he will chase anything that gets near the tank.

Since I put in his new filter and heater, however, he has changed his behavior in that he no longer comes out of his hiding spot when I approach the tank, his movements seem a bit jerky, he won't pay attention to moving objects outside his tank, and I spot this shiny coloration under his gills that I did not see before and do not like as a result.

Here are some pictures of the shiny bit. In some photos, I use an LED flashlight to highlight them. Note that his body scales normally glow when light shines on them, usually a whitish-purple.

Is this just something I have not noticed before? His water conditions are normal. I am doing a fish-in cycle and just vacuumed his water. He seems to be moving around more since I did, so I wonder if it was just something in the water that caused him to change his behavior.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

It could be ammonia burns which is a result of fish-in cycles, where the ammonia usually spikes (normal). It tends to happen a lot for fish-in or, when a betta heals from ammonia burns which can happen prior to buying.

As for the lethargy and odd actions, what is the temperature right now, truthfully?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #3 
Sivan

He is at 78 degrees right now. Yesterday, though, we had a massive heat spike and it went up to 90 degrees. I do not like the temperature fluctuations but can do little about it.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #4 
Sivan

I'm looking at him now and am greatly concerned. One thing I noticed when I got him was that his pelvicl fins were stiff, though not entirely clamped. His pelvic fins now appear to be clamped and he is is sitting nest to his thermometer completely still except for his pectoral fins, which are moving rapidly.

He is looking generally clamped all over. He still eats a lot, swims around (but jerkily sometimes), and flares. I can't help but wonder if there was something on the filter. I rinsed it off and the heater too.

I did a 95% water change two days ago and a 25% change because I just bought a gravel vacuum and decided to clean up his poop and had to replace the water.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #5 
Sivan

Just tested for water conditions:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: Waiting for color to develop but it appears as though it will also be 0ppm. Its too soon for the cycle to be established anyway, so this isn't strange.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 PM   #6 
lvandert

if your water is fine and the only thing you can find is that little greying spot, is it possible he's just starting to show age? I've heard of some boys greying, my Patrick has definitely gotten grey around the beard and laaazy as of recently. I know he's all healthy because I've dealt with him when he wasn't, so I just assumed my boy was finally getting old.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #7 
Sivan

He's still pretty young. Also, his behavior is indicating something is wrong. I don't think it is a coincidence and I am very worried for him.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #8 
lvandert

ok well if he's young then it's something else and not old age. haha sorry to think he was an old guy. As for what it might be, out side of some form of ammonia burn or fungus/paracite I'm baffled. I'll send OFL over here to check it out though. She's like the betta master on here lol (no offense to anyone who thinks themselves this tittle as well)
Old 05-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #9 
Sivan

OFL has helped me greatly in the past and I always appreciate her help. My fear is that it will turn out to be velvet. I just hope its my pessimism that makes me think these things and that he has a minor problem in reality.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:19 PM   #10 
lvandert

velvet is more of a golden dust. You really notice it. You can literally see hat looks like dust on the fish. I'm not really seeing the dust on these pictures so I don't think its velvet