Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #31 
Sivan

I also added the heater the same day. I also cleaned it before I put it in.

The filter is a sponge filter.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #32 
Oldfishlady

Usually sponge filters are tolerated without issue....but.....he had a change in behavior when you added the filter and heater.....what I would do to rule these thing out at least....

Move him to a small Qt and make some 25% water changes for a few days and see if he perks up....

Either of those products could have been contaminated some how and plus he is new (2weeks) and being moved to a large space-then adding water movement-then the temp spike....all combined most likely has stressed him out and compromised his immune response....some can tolerate these changes easier/better than others.

I would hold off on any medications/treatments...get his stress level down, start ruling out things in his environment and the environment itself-then start improving his nutrition in a small, dim lit quiet location and slowly reintroduce him back to his tank.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #33 
Sivan

Alright, thank you. I will have to buy a QT because I do not have a smaller spare tank here at the moment. How small do you recommend? Should I have the heater in the QT or should I leave it out in case it was contaminated? Also, he has been having a hard time eating his food. I think smaller pellets may be good. He is eating betta bites right now. Do you have a suggestion for a nutritious but smaller pellet?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #34 
Oldfishlady

You can use anything, however, I would use something that can be floated in the heated tank since you don't want that heater in the tank with him-unless the room is warm enough to maintain temp of at least 76F you could use 1gal container for now....

I don't feed Betta specific processed foods.. and so I can't recommend anything.....I feed mainly homemade and live foods until I wean the juvies with flakes and micro pellets....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #35 
Sena Hansler

I use TetraMin tropical granules "the rich mix", alongside frozen, live, and freeze dried foods - with one day of fasting a week.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #36 
Sivan

Alright, thank you! I will see if I have any containers that are 1 gallon, since I hear substitutes for tanks are sometimes used. If not, I'll go fetch a Kritter Keeper. I'll keep everyone updated.