Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #21 
redchigh

Microswords don't really have the massive root systems that real echinodorus species have.
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #22 
JKfish

okay :) do you have any specific species you would recommend?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #23 
redchigh

echinodorus blehirae var compacta is good... (Actually Blehirae X parviflorus)

Echinodorus 'Klienar Prinz', Echinodorus “Red Flame”, and maybe even Echinodorus “Ozelot” would fit in a 10G. (ozelot is the largest, so try to find the others first.)
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #24 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchigh View Post
Looks good. I use lots of soil NPTs, so I could have given you advice on starting.
You look like you did just fine without me though! lol.
Laffs....Do I not count.......I guess you haven't seen my tanks that I have been keeping for near 10 years.....laffs.....I also keep nothing but the soil based systems...take a look at my album......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #25 
JKfish

Okay, Day 4...

so, I went to petsmart today and picked up three very colorful platies (all male)... They're in a 4 gallon qt tub right now, though they all look extremely healthy and (maybe a little too) vigerous. The redwag is the largest, hungriest, and apparently the most agressive... I think he thinks the other two are females, despite the very obvious gonopodiums... XD The other two are slight smaller sunburst and orange mickeymouse colored platies. I've gone ahead and stuck a cave in there, which the mickey mouse one has claimed... The sunburst one is hanging near it, for the most part being sure to stay out of sight of the red wag. >.< It's going to be a loooong month for the two smaller platies XD
Name:  Day4Platies.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  22.0 KB

Along with the platies, I got the better lights and hood for Panache's tank. It's incredible just how much more light the tank recives when it has a glass hood and proper light strip!
Name:  Day4A.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  54.4 KB

I'm a bit concerned about Draco and Salabite in the second npt... I was watching them swim in the sunlight, and it almost looked like there were little specks of sparkles between their scales... almost like velvet! :( I'll have to investigate further when it is dark and I can use a flashlight. I just hope it isn't velvet...
Name:  Day4.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  62.8 KB

Draco's side :)
Name:  Day4d.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  61.9 KB

Salabite's side... Salabite has freakishly long pectoral fins... his right pecttoral is 3/4ths red... you can see the red in the pic! The last quarter is clear. Despite the long pectorals, he swims very, very well~ They're long and slender, really pretty~
Name:  Day4s.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  41.1 KB

It's pretty incredible to see how fast the plants are growing! The dwarf lilly arrived with three leaves,and now it has seven!
Name:  Day4dl.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  55.8 KB

The roseafolia is doing well too. It (all of them in both tanks) started growing what looks like flowers! I don't know what they are, but they're pretty cool~
Name:  Day4ro.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  48.1 KB

Last edited by JKfish; 06-07-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #26 
Oldfishlady

Very nice....its amazing how well plants will grow in high nutrient dirt along with proper lighting...It will be filled in before you know it.....
Old 06-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #27 
JKfish

Thanks OFL. I'm really surprised how easy this is! I don't have a green thumb (I've even killed cactuses if that shows you how bad I am at keeping plants), so it's really surprising and rewarding to see the plants and fish so ridiculously happy. :D
~~
It turns out I don't have a flashlight though, so I can't check Draco and Salabite. I'm not crazy worried, seeing as they're both acting fine, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Also, the sunburst platie died... It was perfectly fine when I went to bed, and when I woke up to feed them, it was literally floating belly up. :/ I'm not sure what killed it, but the other two seem perfectly fine. To be safe, I've done a 100% water change after scrubbing down the tub, and I'm considering dropping in 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon just incase it was an internal parasite that did him in. The poor mickeymouse platie is having to hide from the redwag, though the redwag's agression has dropped significantly... Seeing as the dead platie was still in the 14 days, I'll bring him back as proof and ask if I can pick out another platy to disperse the remaining agression between the two.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #28 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss....I do hope it happened in a QT and they are not exposed to the Bettas......always a good idea to Qt for at least 3 weeks-this time-line starts over if they have to be treated or any die....

Success with live plants is a lot easier than a lot think....as long as you have proper lights to promote photosynthesis-aquatic plants are really easy to grow even without dirt substrate.....

Its amazing at how you will see behavior changes in the livestock when you have thriving live plants......
Old 06-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #29 
JKfish

Yes, they are in a 4 gallon qt tank with 78 degree water... I would like to get a larger one, but that's the largest one I have at the moment, so 100% water changes will be done once a day.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #30 
JKfish

Raw feeding

So, I'm in a bit of an odd situation.... The dog food has run out sonner than I thought it would. The vets haven't gotten back to me, and there is a chicken wing thawing in a tubberware next to me. I've been roaming around looking for the stamp scale that measures in the hundredths of an ounce rather accurately, and I can't find it. On top of that, i have no idea what ammount of insulin i should give him because i don't have a glucose meter.

So, I'm going to be playing this one by ear more or less. He should be fine with 3 units, I'm assuming, since this is his very first meal. One of my diabetic people friends suggested getting one touch as a glucose meter, he says that it is good quality, and relatively cheap, though the test strips are what cost a fortune... I'll run out to walmart with my dad and grab one. Hopefully the vets will get back to me when I email them explaining the situation... Fingers crossed! :D

I need to feed Rex about 2.49 to 2.68 oz of meat (thank goodness he is a small dog and doesn't need too much meat per meal) and a bit of bone.... Obviously there is about equal parts bone and meat (not good)... But it'll be his first meal and http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/ says that first meals don't always have to be the ideal amount of meat vs bone vs organ... It's more about swapping your dog and getting him or her and his or her body accustomed to a new diet...

Last edited by JKfish; 06-10-2012 at 07:31 AM.