Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #1 
TheCheese909

Eery has Popeye

It just started today. I changed his water (1 gallon tank as of lately) today, i change it daily since he's been in his 1 gallon tank. He used to be in a 4 gallon but he got finrot so i took him out. We did about 2 months trying to get it better and it kept getting worse very slowly so I ended up cutting his tail to stop the rotting.. It's worked great, he's been growing his tail back slowly for the past 2 weeks. I just got done doing an AQS treatment yesterday so he went into fresh water with no salt and just Stress Coat today.

I noticed around 2pm that his eyes looked a bit big, but they have always been quite large so i didn't think much of it.. later on i checked on him and they were quite cloudy, one more then the other (his left). I figured I would wait a little while to see if it cleared up or if it got worse before I did anything. Just about 30 minutes ago I checked on him and his left eye is huge and he can't see out of it at all it seems like.

I just added some Maracyn and Maracyn 2 to his tank and will change his water again tomorrow and add more for the rest of the week.

I was wondering if there was anything else that I can give him that will make his eye better. I haven't had a fish with popeye like this before.. one of my other boys I had a while back had gotten it but it wasn't as sudden as this or as bad.

I attached some pictures so you can see, the first one is of him yesterday the 2nd is from this afternoon and the rest are from just now.
Attached Images

TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

It's just his one eye? One eye is usually trama based, such as running into a plant or something bumping him (if he panics during cleaning time he could have smacked his eye into something) while both eyes tends to be more infection based, via bacteria in the water.

I have used epsom salt in the past, and it helps to heal it - rather than AQ salt which may just irritate it.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #3 
TheCheese909

Sorry, for some reason it didn't show up that anyone responded to this until just now.

It's both eyes but not nearly as bad in the right eye. It's gone down a bit and he's already looking much better thankfully. I was just worried he was going to lose his eye, I've had a fish with only one eye before and partly blind in the other but I got him that way. I was slightly panicked about what to do if his eye should suddenly rupture.

Anyway, he's looking better, his eyes are still super cloudy like shown in the pictures but he's able to find his food and he eats still. He does hide from me now, but i'm sure he'll get over it once he feels better. If he's not back to normal by the end of his week long treatment i'll give him a day or two rest with just clean water then i'll try some Epsome salt.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

That's good! How long have you had him? He could've come with a bacterial problem. My darling female Dianne has cloudy eyes, but they have gotten better!Luckily it was not to the extent of popeye, but it could've been.

I've had bettas who sulk when sick so yeah the hiding is normal

If his eye DID rupture, clean water EVERY DAY would be the best bet, mainly because of infection. I think we had someone on here who's betta's eye FELL OUT!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #5 
TheCheese909

I have had him since I want to say the 25th of November. I've had him awhile, I got him at PetCo. I had him in a 2.5 gallon tank but lately have been keeping him in a 4 gallon, but now I have to downsize again because he was having trouble swimming around in it and just hiding.. Since I've been keeping him in a 1 gallon for his treatments he's been much happier and social, so i think i'm going to put him back in a 2.5
Old 06-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Some bettas DO do better in smaller tanks. Dally finally allowed me to have him in a larger space, but for the longest time a 3 gallon was his enemy