Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #1 
Cattitude

Plakats: Do they need bigger tanks?

I just got my first plakats yesterday. One is a Big ear, so he doesn't swim too fast, but the other is just an HM plakat, and he literally darts back and forth across the tank for hours on end! 0.o

He is currently in a 2.5 gal minibow. It's not heavily decorated, just one plant, a marimo moss ball, and a rock for hiding. So there's room to swim.

I understand that with shorter fins they can swim faster... but I'm wondering if he should be in a bigger tank? If so, what size?
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #2 
Enkil

I have mine in a 5 gal. He swims around quite a bit but seems pretty happy.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:27 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

When I first got my plakat, I had him in a 1 gal for a few weeks. But I felt like he was bouncing off the walls there, so I moved him to my mostly empty (just has a few bottom-dwellers) 29 gal. He ruled the top of that tank like a king! Now he is in a divided 10 gal. I don't know if I would do smaller than a 5 gal with plakats. They are really active!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:34 PM   #4 
registereduser

Mine is a big ear but it doesn't slow him down at all. He's in a 20 gallon now, up from a 5 gallon. I got a heavily finned delta tail for the 5 gallon and it's a perfect fit.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:24 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

With a plakat, I wouldn't go less than 5 gallons (same with a female), bigger being better. Of course, they'll always do better with a longer footprint, but because they are such strong swimmers compared to long-fins, they can also live well in a hexy. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #6 
Cattitude

OK, looks like I'll be swapping Hugo into Armand's 5 gal! Thanks for the info! :D
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #7 
Mo

I agree with all the above posts, the longer fins will slow a fish down. And the shorter fins allow a fish to go faster. So In My Opinion short finned bettas such as plakats and females should be kept in larger tanks with a larger footprint to allow them to swim to there full capacity
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote