Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #1 
gmoses

New Custom tank need advice

So i am working on this tank design with a friend who works with acrylic... i would love to get your input on what to improve and how to add perhaps a small filter... any thoughts would be greatly appreciated... i used to keep bettas even bred them for a time this is my first back after a year break...
gmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Welcome to the forum! It looks like a pretty neat tank. My only worry is the fish not being able to find the surface. Or the surface tension breaking and all of the water falling on the floor, but I'm guessing if your friend is good with acrylic, then he has it worked out. Also where would the heater go?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #3 
gmoses

the fish learned real quick that he needs to come out to the bottom piece for his air... he seems happy as he has blown a huge bubble nest. As of now i dont have the heater or filter designed as i have all my fish tanks heaterless for now with the weather being so hot... but i am still working on that stuff stuff so thoughts are appreciated.
thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #4 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoses View Post
the fish learned real quick that he needs to come out to the bottom piece for his air... he seems happy as he has blown a huge bubble nest. As of now i dont have the heater or filter designed as i have all my fish tanks heaterless for now with the weather being so hot... but i am still working on that stuff stuff so thoughts are appreciated.
thanks
Heaters with temp control are still good to have. Even in hot weather, you can have temperature fluctuations which are not good.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #5 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyth88 View Post
Heaters with temp control are still good to have. Even in hot weather, you can have temperature fluctuations which are not good.

I 2nd this.
Unless you are living in a place like Thailand and are having the tank outside 24/7.
A heater should be added as a safety measure.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Good to know the fish learned where he needed to go for air. Finding a heater and a filter for a tank like that would be rather difficult. I've never had a tank like that, so I don't think I can be of much help. Maybe a horizontally placed submersible heater like the Aqueon Pro 50w. Maybe place it underneath the tall part. Normally I recommend sponge filters for betta tanks, but I don't think it would work in your case. Unless the tank is more than 5 gallons and you plan to cycle it, you don't really need a filter. But I can understand why you would want one for water circulation.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #7 
gmoses

i can always change the dimensions and there is room in the back area for a heater horizontal. Thanks for the input it is greatly appreciated...what do you think would be a good decoration for it? DO you think i should create a custom background or maybe live plants?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

mmm, would that middle section make live plants hard to prune?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:48 AM   #9 
gmoses

the tank is made of two separate pieces so during water changes can always remove it and prune it that way...
Old 05-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

Ok :D I just imagined that getting the water out. :Pwould be a hassle.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrylic custom betta tank