Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #11 
djembekah

5 gallons is faaaar too small for 2 bettas, let alone 4! i'd upgrade your tank before you get more girls.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #12 
Pitluvs

I personally wouldn't put a snail in a 5g tank with 2 Bettas, or even 1 Betta. But if you do chose to get a snail, Apples are OUT 100%. I have one nearly the size of a tennis ball. They get big. My 20g tank has 6 girls and 3 Apple Snails and my bioload is nearly maxed lol

I would upgrade to a 10g, get 3 or 4 more females, a nerite and call it a day :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #13 
birdielikestomatoes

Are you positive? The tank is cycled and I'd be doing 25% water changes every few days plus there's quite a few hiding place and I'd be buying a few more silk plants to add even more. Plus while the tank is only a 5g the girls are quite small even though they're full grown so they have plenty of swimming space. I wouldn't even be considering adding two more girls if I didn't think they would be able to live happy, healthy lives.

I'd love to upgrade to a 10g but in addition to not having the funds I'd need to convince my mom. But that would be amazing to have a 10g with a few more girls plus a snail. For now it'll have to wait.

This is the tank and you can see the two girls.

Last edited by birdielikestomatoes; 06-02-2012 at 07:52 PM.
birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #14 
Pitluvs

I wouldn't house two females together in any tank honestly, to much of a chance of aggression. With two females, one will be the Queen and she will eventually harass the other female. I had 3 in my 20g tank while I was waiting for my new females to arrive, and one of them tore the fins right off my oldest girl :( Sadly she did not make it. It's not so much ammonia or space, but the fact that females NEED to be in larger groups to space out aggression. Personally if I couldn't upgrade, I would divide the 5g and keep them apart.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #15 
birdielikestomatoes

I know. >_< That's why I want to get two more to kind of lesson that aggression, I've been very lucky so far though, these two have been living together for 5 months now and I've only had them flare at each other when they were first introduced and just recently they've had a power struggle and Hilda is now queen of the tank but they've settled down again. I adore Hilda but I wouldn't have bought her, I had planned for this tank to just house Eugeney but my mom had other ideas and brought home Hilda.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #16 
Tikibirds

I would either upgrade to a 10 G and get 3 or so more girls OR maybe you can divide the tank? Not sure how hard it would be to divide up a bow front tank.

mystery snails poop ALOT. I have one in a 5 gallon with a male betta and that thing poops more then trapdoor snails and they are 2-3 inches in size! I suggest getting a gravel vaccume if you don't already have one.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #17 
Batmantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
mystery snails poop ALOT. I have one in a 5 gallon with a male betta and that thing poops more then trapdoor snails and they are 2-3 inches in size! I suggest getting a gravel vaccume if you don't already have one.
Mystery's definitely leave a lot of waste in their trail but they are very entertaining to watch
Batmantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #18 
Pogthefish

I LOVE when my mystery goes in thr bubbler, or ilter :P they can be stupid!

I can ship you a mystery snail ($2 fr snail $5 for shipping) and maybe I can give ya a discount! My snails come young, so you get the logest life out of them, and they are much more active and less skittish than pet store snails, not to mention, healthier.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #19 
Pogthefish

If you h ave questions about mystery snails, feel free to email me!
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #20 
birdielikestomatoes

I do have a gravel vacuum which I use whenever I do water changes. The snail was only to be a pet as I don't have an algae problem.

LOL does the snail ever float up to the top when it's sitting on the bubbler? That yellow color is gorgeous though. I'll definitely consider getting one from you, Pog, when I upgrade.

I have no idea how I'd split their tank, right now I'm just keeping an eye on them and while they have set up who the queen of the tank is they've very good about not nipping. The one time they did nip at each other Eugeney was put into a bag and floated in the tank, they haven't nipped since. When I separate them I always bag the aggressor.