Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #21 
Pogthefish

If you want,, you can take a piece of plastic with small holes and measure distance from one corner to the other. then make it about that size, and fill in the extra space with sponges. Dont go across, I have spent forever tryign to split thet one acress, but the bulge gets me every time!
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #22 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
Yall do realize mystery snails ARE apple snails, right?

Avoid thing like pond snails and ramshorn snails, they are asexual and will reproduce crazy fast.

Nerites are usually the snail of choice as they're algae eaters. Trumpet snails live the substrate as do assassins.

Here check this out: http://www.planetinverts.com/snail_species.html
They are actually "NOT" the same.... As stated in many articles
Quote:
Not exactly. Mystery Snails (Pomacea diffusa) are a single species which belongs in the Apple Snail family (Ampullariidae), which also contains about 100 other species as well.
EDIT: They are similar though but have very unique differences such as size being the most noticable.

Last edited by jman828; 06-04-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: More Details
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #23 
Pogthefish

no apple is liek an umbrella term. like apple snai is like "dog" and mystery snail is like "labrador" see?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #24 
birdielikestomatoes

Good news everyone! After weeks of going on about a 10g and being even more persistent this past week I've finally convinced my mom of getting a 10g for a sorority. I'll be getting three more girls in addition to the two I already have and I'll be getting another boy for the 5g. Hopefully we'll head out tomorrow and grab everything.
birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #25 
Tikibirds

Awsome
Make sure you have LOTS of plants for them - the more stuff you stick in there, the less likely they are to fight. You want to break up their line of sight as much as possible, so the bigger, leafy plants are the way to go.
Ones like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Vibran-Sea-Flo..._petsupplies_5
and you want cover at the top too so they can get air. Some females will chase away any other female when they go to the surface. you can use real floating plants but I use plastic plants by tetra. If you take off the plastic bottom part, their plants will float.

These are the ones I have.

I just stick them in there horizontally and they float at the water surface.
http://www.amazon.com/Water-Wonders-...8959840&sr=1-8

I also have a few of these stuck on the side of the tank.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-BP-23-..._petsupplies_4

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-06-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #26 
Pogthefish

I just use really tall plants, an inch or 2 taller than the water level. I only have them in one area right now :/ but my females get along very well, they school like my tetras!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #27 
Pogthefish

Btw, that water wonders packet: LOVE those :D
Old 06-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #28 
birdielikestomatoes

I wasn't able to get to the shops today. :( My mom had an ear infection so she couldn't drive me. Also, I've decided to keep Eugeney in the 5 gallon and just get 4 more girls for Hilda's sorority. Today I realized just how bad her eyesight has gotten and because of this she wouldn't do well in a group. You guys probably think I'm completely daft with all these idea changes but I'm just trying to do my best for these fish and your suggestions have been helping me so much. As for plants I plan on getting quite a lot of silk plants from Petco, I absolutely adore some of the newer ones they've gotten. I need to get a picture of Steve's new tank but it is filled with silk plants, I plan to do something similiar to his.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #29 
Pogthefish

Actually, I had a blind fish in a sorority once. She did okay. The fish didnt pick on her and she got her food. She mostly stayed by the ground in the plants and ate what fell, lived a normal life for a blind fish, and interacted with other fishies OKAY.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #30 
birdielikestomatoes

That's actually good news. After I posted last I started thinking and Eugeney has spent most her life with another fish and when her last tankmate died she got really depressed, wouldn't eat and just listlessly swam about. She didn't have any illness that I was aware of and the only thing that had changed was that Betty was gone. I don't want to see her mope about like that and she can still see shapes, it's just the pellets she has trouble with. But when I do set up the sorority I'll keep a close eye on her and make sure she gets fed, whether by eating with the rest of them or by luring her into a zip lock to eat.