Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 AM   #1 
SarahandOscar

normal reaction to AQ salt?

Ok so i'm terrible and didn't realise that my boy's tail was slowly becoming darker and darker, i thought it was just dodgy lighting or shadow since the tanks i have are in a dark spot and have black gravel and only in the last week have i realised how bad it is. I'm pretty sure it's fin rot =(

I moved all his decorations from his original 1 gallon into his new 2.8 gallon and put him in thinking he'd love the space but he totally clamped up and seems terrified.

I set up a hospital tank with his old 1 gal and moved him to that to start the AQ treatment (yes alot of moving the poor thing) and he's still clamped and sulky and seems seriously miserable. Is he supposed to be in a vacant tank with nothing for a whole week while i do the treatment? every one talks about the hospital tanks and 7-10 day salt baths but i can't find any specifics... he's just laying around feeling sorry for himself but wasn't like this till i started to try and help him... What is a fishes normal reaction to being put into even more quarantine than their already solo lives? When should i see any kind of improvement? He still eats and comes to see me when i'm there so i'm hoping it's just too much newness and a little stressful for him and he'll calm down.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 (with all the decor and gravel and heater etc it was more like 2/3 gallon =( i have a 2.8 to put him in once he's better though)
What temperature is your tank? 26degrees celcius (78.8 degrees fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets, bloodworm
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets twice daily, one day fast one meal replaced with defrosted freeze dried bloodworm.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice weekly,
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% wed, 100% sat (i have a funny feeling in my case this was not enough)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? prime and stresscoat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:0
Hardness how do you test this?
Alkalinity: ? how do you test this?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? tail becoming SLOWLY darker
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? only since i put him in the hospital tank he's clamped and sulky
When did you start noticing the symptoms? week ago although in hindsight i should have realised earlier... it was so slow i didn't figure it out till i looked back of pics of his first day and realised the change in colour
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 1 teaspoon per gallon of AQ in hospital tank (he's literally in a tank with nothing but him, 1 gallon of conditioned and stress coat added to water, a heater and a leaf hammock - is this right?)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not since I've had him
How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea i have had him for a month.

basically i'd like to make sure i'm doing the right thing and although i know i've let it go on WAY too long i will do everything i can to learn and never make a mistake again. i feel terrible and would love some support and encouragement.
Attached Images

SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:52 AM   #2 
Aria

Location: Lowell, and Amesbury depending on the time of year.
From your pictures his fins look fine to me! I've never heard darkening color being a symptom of fin rot, but I could be wrong. I'm no expert, but I do believe bettas can develop deeper colors with good care, and this isn't something to worry about. However, if his fins are looking ragged and chewed up, bloody on the tips, or seem to have a white film near the freshly cut up chunks (not to be mistaken with new fin growth) then he may have fin rot.

If he does, it looks like a very mild case, and can be cured with frequent water changes to promote healing, no need to medicate. If he's laying around a lot check your water temperature and see if it's too cold - perhaps you heater may have died if you're using one. If not, get one and you should see improvement.

Good luck! :) Maybe someone else could offer more informed advice than mine!
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #3 
Karebear13

How long have you been doing the salt treatment?
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:46 AM   #4 
SarahandOscar

The darkening is making his loose his mustard gas colouring and the edges of his tail is no longer smooth it's jaggered and looks to be tattered. Well today was his first day, I'm doing my 1st 100% change and refreshing the salt as we speak, how long does it take to start noticing a change? I know it's early on but if it's bad I'd like to take more drastic action if needed. The temp is perfect. I have a heater and thermometer, I even switched thermometers to double check. It just doesn't look like its healthy is all... I dunno am I being paranoid?
Old 05-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #5 
Karebear13

Does it look like its making the tail deteriorate... I have seen bettas with black tips like that and its normal but in the second picture it looks like his tail is deteriorating but I can't tell since his tail isn't spread... How much salt did you add and did you dissolve before you added it?
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #6 
Shadyr

After I got a boy with a bonk (lost a few scales on his back) and started putting the salt in his tank, I did see that he clamped up some the next day, which made me worry he was getting worse. He unclamped by the third day and was all healed up in about a week. He actually blew us his first bubble nest at the end of his treatment.

Hopefully it's just a temporary thing with your boy too. I have one with very similar colors!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #7 
ZackyBear

Treat 1tsp AQ salt per gallon for several days and it should help. And yes, he should stay in the hospital tank throughout the whole treatment.

I can see the coloring on his clamped dorsal, and it is most definitely fin rot. I hope he gets better soon~

Last edited by ZackyBear; 05-25-2012 at 02:02 PM.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #8 
SarahandOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear13 View Post
Does it look like its making the tail deteriorate... I have seen bettas with black tips like that and its normal but in the second picture it looks like his tail is deteriorating but I can't tell since his tail isn't spread... How much salt did you add and did you dissolve before you added it?
Yes the once smooth edge I starting to get tattered and looks to be deteriorating,I cannot get him to flare and spent literally 45 mins trying to get a good pic and that's the best I got unfortunately, I added 1 teaspoon of AQ salt to tap water, then added prime to decholrinate, then a little stress coat in the hope it does something to make him feel better, I waited till the crystals dissolved and he water was at the same temp as his current set up and transferred him over.

Thanks so much for the help, it's the first time I'm treating a betta so I'm kind of nervous and all the great advice on this site sometimes leaves me a tiny bit unsure of myself.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #9 
SarahandOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
After I got a boy with a bonk (lost a few scales on his back) and started putting the salt in his tank, I did see that he clamped up some the next day, which made me worry he was getting worse. He unclamped by the third day and was all healed up in about a week. He actually blew us his first bubble nest at the end of his treatment.

Hopefully it's just a temporary thing with your boy too. I have one with very similar colors!
Ahhh thank you!!!!!! I'm into day 2 so fingers crossed he cheers up soon, I can only imagine how he feels, I was sitting at my desk hunched over in the cold and ended up with the sorest shoulders, I wonder if him clamping makes his muscles ache too.... I now know I'm doing the right thing so I feel a little better about him suddenly becoming sulky. Daily water changes are prob freaking him out too the poor thing.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #10 
SarahandOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackyBear View Post
Treat 1tsp AQ salt per gallon for several days and it should help. And yes, he should stay in the hospital tank throughout the whole treatment.

I can see the coloring on his clamped dorsal, and it is most definitely fin rot. I hope he gets better soon~
Thanks heaps!!! A little confirmation (although not the best diagnosis) is at least a step in the right direction, I appreciate the time taken to have a quick look and read through my rumblings, first time mum and first time to the hospital made me nervous although from now on I'll be more confident and watch out for warning signs. his 2.8 gallon is ready and waiting!!

Thanks again!!