Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #1 
shadowpony

Single fancy goldfish in a 30 gal long?

So I will be (finally) stocking my 30 gallon soon. I really like goldfish; I would love to do a goldfish tank. I need a better filter (one rated for a 60 gal).I also need some bigger gravel. I also want a few plasic plants and a cave or two. Can one fancy goldfish do ok in this tank with this equipment and decor?
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Well.... I guess it could, however for goldies long tanks are not the best... If you want caves, you can use them when goldies are small and young however as they grow you might see they don't fit in the cave And trust me goldies are VERY messy - my oscar is bad enough and he has an 80 gallon!!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #3 
shadowpony

Thanks. Just wondering, why are long tanks not good for goldies? I wanted the caves for decorative purposes. I know fancies can get pretty fat by nature.

EDIT: I am only guessing that it's a long. I found the tank floating in a lake. Yeah. I know. Strange. Very strange.

Last edited by shadowpony; 06-01-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #4 
Termato

Could you provide the dimensions of this tank please?
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #5 
shadowpony

1ft wide 3ft long and 1ft and 3 inches deep
Old 06-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Long tanks are better for goldfish because it means a greater surface area for gas exchange. Long tanks are just better in general for fish. I know the size tank you are talking about. It's typically sold as a 30 gal breeder. Not a common tank.

As for whether or not a goldfish can live in one, with a sufficient filter, I think it has the space for one, but goldfish are social creatures. They can live alone but prefer the company of other goldfish, but that tank is physically too small for another goldfish. You would also be restricted to the generally smaller breeds of goldfish. Oranda and black moore are notorious for getting really large. Ryukin and pearlscales tend to stay smaller. What breed were you thinking about getting?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #7 
shadowpony

I was thinking a ruykin (did I spell it right? I can't spell..) I've heard a rule of 20 gallons for the first and 10 for any more, but usually those rules aren't very good.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

Ya. The 10+10 rule is really only good for larger tanks (40 gal and up); and even then it can result in overstocked or just on the line tanks. There is no hard and fast rule for goldfish in smaller tanks because people (who understand the needs of these fish) want to keep lots and therefore keep goldfish in large tanks.

A ryukin would be a good choice for this tank. While I have seen pictures of massive ryukin, those are typically show fish. I don't think the normal fish you get from a pet store will get that big. My ryukin is the tiny one of the tank. He's only about 7 inches long.

What filter were you planning to buy? As I saw recently, filter quality does make a difference with goldfish. I was helping someone through a fishless cycle, but their cycle stalled. We determined it was because the filter (just your basic cartridge-type) didn't have enough space for enough BB to support goldfish. This poor girl had to go buy a canister in order to get her tank to cycle.

I thought about this a lot last night, and I think it could work. The tank is as long as a 40 gal breeder which has been established as a good home for two goldfish. You will need to keep a close watch on water quality as it can change rapidly with goldfish and cram the filter with bio-media. And you will be limited to only one goldfish. Impulse buys are okay with fish like betta that don't grow as large, but with goldfish it can spell dooooooom for your tank. Basically, the take-home message is it can work but with caution.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #9 
Neil D

Actually a 30g tank is big enough for 2 fancies. 20g for the first fish and 10 for each additional. That seems like the accepted opinion. You can go to Koko's Goldfish Forum for more info...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #10 
shadowpony

OK. I have no idea what filter to get. Any suggestions? All ive figured out is double filtration capacity and a high GPH rateing. EDIT: Oh and what about water changes.Big like 50% a week or smaller like 25% a week. Im afraid lots of 50%'s would hurt my cycle...

Last edited by shadowpony; 06-02-2012 at 05:31 PM.