Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #11 
Neil D

Actually it should filter ~10x the tank volume. I have a 40g tank and a 350 gph filter. (Penguin 350) That would be good for you too.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #12 
shadowpony

How exspensive? Im looking it up right now...
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #13 
thekoimaiden

I would get the Aquaclear 70 (they run about $45). I have two on my 55 gallon goldfish tank. I had the Penguin 350 and felt like it didn't have as much biological capacity as my Aquaclear. They are actually constructed more like a canister filter than any other HOB and offer the best options for bio-filtration. Forgo the carbon and get two sponges of different pore sizes (cut the one the filter comes with in half for more room) and get a second bag of bio-media. Ideally a canister is best, but they are also expensive. In a goldfish tank you want to maximize the surface area for the BB to grow. This is especially true for small tanks.

For weekly water changes, you are looking at either a single 50% or two 25% throughout the week. Neither of these will hurt the cycle. Only a 100% will. In fact, I do weekly 50% water changes on all of my cycled tanks.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #14 
Tikibirds

Quote:
20g for the first fish and 10
I see this around alot - why does the 1st one need 20G and the 2nd only need an extra 10g? If the 1st one requires 20, shouldn't the 2nd one also require 20 gallons making it 40 for 2??
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #15 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I see this around alot - why does the 1st one need 20G and the 2nd only need an extra 10g? If the 1st one requires 20, shouldn't the 2nd one also require 20 gallons making it 40 for 2??
It's more of a guideline than a rule. Surface area is another large think that people need to take into account. A 30 gal hex is a very different tank than a 30 gal breeder. A 30 hex couldn't fit one goldfish let alone the two that this rule claims. What it comes down to is that this is an attempt to keep people from overstocking a goldfish tank. I'm sure that some serious goldfish enthusiasts could keep 1 goldfish per 10 gallons, but they would also have the money to dedicate to a major filtration setup. The average person doesn't have the ability to invest in that commercial-grade filtration, so that is why we add that extra 10 gallons in there. It's a buffer zone.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #16 
shadowpony

Ok so aquaclear 70, skip the carbon, go for two sponges. Get an extra bag of bio-media. Got it.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #17 
kfryman

Get an aquaclear, get a massive filter to provide more oxygen and more places for good bacteria.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote