Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #1 
GhostFeather

Judge this male-please

Hi,
I would appreciate opinions on this male.
http://www.aquabid.com/uploads/fwbettashm1338731161.jpg
Thanks
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #2 
tpocicat

Wonderful color, slightly OHM, anal fin is just a touch too long. That's all I've got.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #3 
shadowpony

Im not an expert but his dorsal could be a tad bigger.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #4 
GhostFeather

Thanks,I am looking at a few on AB.
Mostly Chards fish and this one(which comes with a sibling female).
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #5 
bettalover2033

Well as my imput for the male, I wouldn't breed him. His dorsal doesn't look right. It looks like its going at a slant when it's supposed to be like a round circle. As for the caudal, he is a rose tail and for one I don't breed rose tails because of how many excessive rays they produce. As for his anal fin, it's too long. You don't want the anal to be so long because about 75-80% of them will have anal fins that are too long.

If you're looking for a pair, I'd suggest you get them from a breeder who has a great history of quality fish or look at importing bettas. It can definitely be more expensive but worth it. Breeding fish like the male you posted will give you too much burden to handle and way too many flaws to fix.

I would suggest a different breeder than Chard for better quality bettas.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #6 
lvandert

Chard has some good fish, just like every other breeder can't get perfect fish every time. It depends if your looking to just start breeding or if you've been breeding a long time. If your just going to start then yeah 15 bucks for a fish with a few flaws to practice with is fine. If you've been breeding a while then its purely up to you. If he has the colors you want you find a female to counteract the fins.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #7 
MrVampire181

That male looks.... weird. Not something I'd breed.

Chard, though has produced some pretty fish in the past, and recently some nice bettas, his fish are still pet store fish quality as far as I know. I don't believe he's ever outcrossed into something quality. No offense to Chard.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #8 
Luimeril

imo, if you're going to breed, strive for the best you possibly can from the start. that's one thing i've learned from talking with breeders like Mr. V....

US breeders Martinismommy and Bettascapes always have pretty fish. yeah, with Martinismommy you'll pay a pretty penny, but it's worth it. she always has beautiful bettas, and if i'm not mistaken they often win shows. :V

another thing, i don't think you should go for whatever cheap betta you can find to 'practice' with. if you're going to breed, then breed. there is no 'practice'. if that was the case, i'd have 'practiced' with what i have now, which is mostly beautiful, unique pet store bettas. most expensive out of them is my $5 walmart male, King Steve the blue crowntail. :I
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #9 
bettalover2033

I wasn't trying to diss chard or anything, but he does breed pet store fish and look at his fish. They look like pet store fish. The breeder might as well buy fish from pet stores. They are going to be overpaying for nothing. Yes his fish can be nice sometimes, but not breeding quality IMO.

And "practice" shouldn't really be used because breeding bettas is not a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
Chard has some good fish, just like every other breeder can't get perfect fish every time. It depends if your looking to just start breeding or if you've been breeding a long time. If your just going to start then yeah 15 bucks for a fish with a few flaws to practice with is fine. If you've been breeding a while then its purely up to you. If he has the colors you want you find a female to counteract the fins.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #10 
indianabetta

Ya im not a fan of chards fish, I ordered one once, and it had fin rot and a tumor, and died a month later...just my personal experience, he has had lots of happy customers if you look at his feedback
indianabetta is offline   Reply With Quote