Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #1 
MadNysa

Aquatic Science Project Idea Help

Hello everyone, hope you all are having a good day today!

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have volunteered to do the science fair this year but my previous idea was not good enough. I was hoping you guys would help me out with some sort of advanced aquatic science project. I was thinking of making my own bacteria additive, but I dont know how I would do that or if it is possible. The due date is in December so I have a good amount of time to do the project.

Any ideas?

(I dont know if this is in the right forums so correct me if I got it wrong!)
MadNysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:59 PM   #2 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

You could do a study of how fast tanks cycle when given different treatment. One with no treatment, one with aquasafe quickstart, one with tetra bottled beneficial bacteria, and one with seeded media?
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #3 
hrutan

It depends on if you're trying to create something, or if you just want to do some kind of demonstration.

If you have the money, you can look at conditions for beneficial bacteria growth in sponge filters using varying methods. This lets you create a fantastic display explaining the nitrogen cycle and its effect on fish care, plus your experience with, say, 3 different sponge filters cycling in different buckets or aquariums. They would need to be kept in identical conditions, and right next to each other. Every factor, including sunlight, would need to be taken into account.

What I would do would be demo cycling lengths with 3 methods:
a) fish-in,
b) using fish food, and
c) using pure ammonia.

Keep the temperature and sunlight in each vessel identical. Ideally, place them all in a row. Use heaters, if you use a betta - or without heaters if you wanted to use a baby goldfish...as long, of course, as you had a plan to rehome or give the goldfish proper housing at the end.

There'd be a bit of cost in the setup, so that depends on your family and your resources.

The whole project has the added benefit of educating anyone interested in one very important aspect of fish care. You could include in your display information on what overfeeding is and why it pollutes the water, how to do a water test, and the effects of ammonia exposure on fish.
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #4 
MadNysa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridinguckgirl14 View Post
You could do a study of how fast tanks cycle when given different treatment. One with no treatment, one with aquasafe quickstart, one with tetra bottled beneficial bacteria, and one with seeded media?
That was the idea I had but was not advanced enough to get me to the state fair. Thank you for trying though!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #5 
MadNysa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrutan View Post
It depends on if you're trying to create something, or if you just want to do some kind of demonstration.

If you have the money, you can look at conditions for beneficial bacteria growth in sponge filters using varying methods. This lets you create a fantastic display explaining the nitrogen cycle and its effect on fish care, plus your experience with, say, 3 different sponge filters cycling in different buckets or aquariums. They would need to be kept in identical conditions, and right next to each other. Every factor, including sunlight, would need to be taken into account.

What I would do would be demo cycling lengths with 3 methods:
a) fish-in,
b) using fish food, and
c) using pure ammonia.

Keep the temperature and sunlight in each vessel identical. Ideally, place them all in a row. Use heaters, if you use a betta - or without heaters if you wanted to use a baby goldfish...as long, of course, as you had a plan to rehome or give the goldfish proper housing at the end.

There'd be a bit of cost in the setup, so that depends on your family and your resources.

The whole project has the added benefit of educating anyone interested in one very important aspect of fish care. You could include in your display information on what overfeeding is and why it pollutes the water, how to do a water test, and the effects of ammonia exposure on fish.
Thats a really great idea! Thank you for sharing. This was exactly was I was looking for. Of course if anyone has any other ideas, please keep sharing!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #6 
hrutan

If you do that, be sure to also include a base line test of your tap water. ^^
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote