Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #1 
SeaKnight

Appropriate amount of time???

For those of you with dogs, What would you deem an appropriate amount of time to hold a found animal before either placing for adoption or deeming a permanent member of the family???? Local law enforcement states there are no laws requiring notifications to be made by private owners, so it is up to you, and local shelters and rescues typically give them 1-2 week stray holds....
SeaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #2 
Charc14

I would say hold him for a week. If no one puts up a sign or you don't see anyone driving or walking around calling for a dog, Then you can probably keep it or give it away up to you. All the strays that I've found the owner has been looking for and I've only had to hold the animal for less then 24 hours before the owner shows up. But it also depends on where you live, I live in the suburbs if you live in the country or something then you may never find the owner
Charc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #3 
SeaKnight

Yes, see that is the current issue, I too have had my fair share of dog sightings/findings etc. but there was always an owner located within hours, if not minutes.... However, as of right now it has been almost 4 days and despite the dog looking very well cared for and being extremely friendly, and more than a dozen inquires being made (people responding to my posts of the dog being found), NONE have even remotely matched the description of the guy.... It really makes me wonder?????
Old 09-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #4 
hrutan

Take him to a vet, and ask them scan for a microchip. If no microchip, put up signs stating that he has been found in your neighborhood. Otherwise, your vet will tell you how to report him found, or even do that himself. The microchip company will notify the owners.

Doing that is REALLY important. Dogs lose their collars all the time, but a chip could still be there. It only costs $25 to chip at my local shelter, so it's quite common.

You can also ask your local animal shelter for their policies on found animals. Shelters will also scan for microchips. Dogs can wander quite far from their homes (easily 25 miles in a day), and the posters may do no good. The owners may be checking animal shelter websites, or going in in person to look for their pet.

Many shelters have "First Rights" options, where you can turn in a found animal, and then ask to be given priority for adoption if the owner does not turn up within a specific time frame. Ask about that, and ask about how you can take advantage of it -- before you turn in the dog.

Whatever you do, don't be so cruel as to not make any attempt. It hurts to lose a dog. They can get out for all sorts of reasons, regardless of quality of care. My dog was lost and turned up on the other side of the city, once, and Los Angeles is a very big city. A few signs in the neighborhood he turned up in would never have helped. Fortunately, he had a chip and a collar.
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #5 
SeaKnight

I currently own 3 dogs and use to work with local shelters and rescue facilities in my hometown so I know all the "proper" procedures (I have also unfortunately had a dog stolen.) and have already put calls in to several places as well as posted listings that the dog has been found.. My question was: When do you make the decision to place for adoption or deem permanent, not what I need to do.. Thank you for the advice though..

Last edited by SeaKnight; 09-20-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #6 
SeaKnight

Sorry, just reread my post and realized my reply came out a whole lot harsher than intended.. Guess that's what I get for trying to post from my phone.... Anyway, all I was trying to say was yes, I am aware of the proper moral procedures, and that I have contacted the shelters etc. in the area, as well as several veterinarian offices.... Ads have been posted and, at the moment there is no trace of a Microchip (My vet is waiting for a universal scanner, theirs only reads specific ones)... We are actually going to take him in on Monday to another office which has a universal one to be scanned.... As for turning him over to rescue or a shelter, that is just not in the cards.... Citing no room at the Inns and although they are willing to "Cross post" they much prefer to not have to physically deal with the animal if at all possible (seeing as I am willing to hold on to the animal and was courteous enough to report the animal found, then chances are the dog is probably better off with me than kept in a Kennel under stressful conditions or potentially bounced from foster home to foster home) ....

Last edited by SeaKnight; 09-20-2014 at 04:53 PM.