Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #1 
Anitax3x

Molly babies! (Help is appreciated)

Okay so I woke up yesterday to five spunky balloon molly fry! I put them in a breeder because I had school all day. I came home and my momma molly still looked pretty pregnant! so I set up my 5 gal tank with water from the 20gal they were born in, a sponge filter I have it about half way filled,an adjustable heater set at 79 F, some anacharis and cabomba. I googled what those little mollies will eat and most said crushed (almost into powder) fish flakes/pellets will do since I have no live food available. I tried it and they all ate twice yesterday. (YAY) And later last night the momma popped out more babies, alot were deformed, stillborn, bad eggs, and most can't seem to swim, they swim as hard as they can for about 30 seconds and then sink to the bottom. So I'm sad because I don't think they're going to make it The mom is in the breeder floating in the 5 gal, She's in there seperated from the fry, because I don't want her stressed in my 20 gal. I did a water change today (gradually because I read if I shocked the fry by changing the water too fast they could die). They are SUPER active! And mom is still kind of acting weird like she did when she needed to drop more babies so I'm keeping an eye on her.

So I have questions

I have frozen brine shrimp I got from petsmart, When could I introduce that as a food source? I also have frozen ( not freeze dried!!!!) blood worms.

I saw on here some of you guys use snails to keep your grow out tanks clean, and eat the dead fry from the bottom of your tank, If this is true, what type of snails do you recommend?

I am feeding them twice a day, and changing some (not all.. around 1/3) of the water every day, is this a good schedule to follow? If not, pleasee tell me what I should be doing, I want them to live.

If I have missed something, or am doing something wrong tell me. I've never raised fry before.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #2 
Anitax3x

This was not planned, I bought the mollies last saturday, based on what I googled, they are both females , and since they are balloon mollies I figured she was just extra fat, LOL . So she came home from petco pregnant!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #3 
KadenJames

Honestly, I'm only Betta fry savvy. xD you should probably post this in the "Other Fish" section, since this is the "Breeding Bettas" section. ;)
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #4 
Anitax3x

I tried that, not many people answered, should I try a different forum? I figured you guys know so much about breeding I could get some pointers on raising fry lol!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #5 
KadenJames

I can't speak for other people, but I've only owned a Molly once in my life. Rofl. My guess with the fry is plenty of live food, plenty of clean, warm water and they'll eventually grow. This forum is a sub-forum of FishForums.net. You can try looking here under the different categories.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #6 
Anitax3x

HAHA! this is literally my 6th day owning mollies.. how funny right! Would any stores like pet stores like petsmart or petco carry live baby brine shrimp?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #7 
MollyJean

First the food. The dried shrimp will be fine in about two weeks, but they do not provide much nutrition. Neither do the bloodworms. give them normal flake food ground down into powder for most of their food. You should be feeding them eery 4-6 hours for th first 2 weeks, then twice a day after those two weeks. Lots of water changes and yes, snails make great cleaning crews. Sounds like you'll be fine.

Sorry if i miss-spelled a lot. Netbook keyboard... ug
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #8 
Anitax3x

They arent dried they are frozen in water baby brine shrimp. I don't buy dried, Ive been flamed for feeding freeze dried anything because it causes constipation. If the shrimp don't give much nutrition why do breeders recommend them? This is the package I bought

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3312&subref=AA

They are not dried they are in water. The package says they are ideal for fry so I bought them, the fry loved them, if they arent okay I will stick to the crushed fish flakes. They seemed to really love these lil guys.

Thanks, someone yelled at me saying the snail will kill my fry and leave a huge mess.. I was confused because most betta breeders use snails as cleanup crews LOL but the fact they were a new member made me skeptical of their information. Sorry if that makes me rude XD I just want to know from more experienced people.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #9 
jeffegg2

from what I remember, mollys kinda kick out babies all the time. A few here and few there....
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #10 
Anitax3x

HAH! I guess that is true considering less than a week into having them I'm caring for molly fry