Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #21 
LittleWatty

Right. Well, I guess I just get to leave the tank alone for a while now XD I haven't tested anything since that last big one. I'll probably test it Friday or so, just to check what's going on with the Ammonia. If it's gone down any, I'll check Nitrites. If not, I'll leave it alone again. The water has cleared up quite considerably, but there's still plenty of soggy food floating on the top of the water XD And it smells strongly of fish. Can't wait until its done so I can clean that out
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #22 
Hallyx
Reference Team

High temperature, plenty of flow and ammonia over 3ppm, and you're on your way. Once enough bacteria gets into your tank from the air, they double every three days or so. It's that first couple of weeks before they get up to critical mass.

Patience. Good luck
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #23 
LittleWatty

Temperature stays at least at 80F, I have the filter baffled currently with Aquarium sponge, which I'm hoping will give them more surface area to populate. With a decent 3 gallon set up, I'd say he's got plenty to keep my boy busy until his big tank is set up. Not to mention, I'm still looking for the perfect decor XD
Old 06-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #24 
LittleWatty

Ammonia is currently at 8.0 or higher... XD I hope that's not bad for my plants. They seem to be ok, and my bulbs are growing (two onion, and one waterlily I think). The water has really cleared up, I don't see anymore floating flakes, and I haven't yet seen a spike in Nitrites (just tested, at 0).

I do have a question though... I can't seem to find an answer anywhere or from anyone. In my 3 gallon unfiltered, I keep getting really high readings of Nitrites. My tap has a reading of 0, but after only a day of use, it'll have nitrites at 2.0ppm, and after two days, the readings reach the max of 5ppm. I don't know what could be causing nitrite spikes in an unfiltered tank. Only thing I can think of is the decor or the heater. I've got PetCo plants, a Tetra heater (no wattage on box, but valid for 2-15 gallons), a PetCo rock formation with fake plants, and PetCo aquarium gravel and sand. I rinsed everything before putting them in tank initially, and I rinse everything before putting it back in after water changes. I don't know what's going on.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:24 AM   #25 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Oh my, there's something seriously wrong. I have no idea why your nitrites would rise in the absence of ammonia. This is in your occupied tank?

High nitrites can be more dangerous than high ammonia.

Check your sourcewater. Fill a bucket, then check it every day for a while. Find out what your pH is from the tap and after sitting day after day.

If this were happening to me, I'd change that water every day to keep the nitrite below 0.50ppm.

I'm at a loss, Watty. Post this question on the 'Bowls, Habitats and Accessories' section of this forum with a title like "High nitrites. What do I do?" or some such thing. I hope the big guys will come over to help.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #26 
LittleWatty

I'll have to, as I can't seem to find an answer anywhere!