Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #11 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

... :(
I really don't know.. You don't think the filter and heater could have done something do you?
I doubt it but if something poisoned him there isn't much to do..
Is it to late to head to the store where you are?
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #12 
Sivan

I'll go to any store. I bet Wal-mart is still open. What do you think I need?
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #13 
lelei

I just looked at the video..I wish I could help..seems he's breathing heavy..and struggling to get up to the surface..then..I don't know if I am seeing this..but on the side when u turned to watcch..I think I see a lil pudge in the under belly..but I am not an expert in this..best thing to do is PM Old fish lady..I hear she is great at diagnosing fish diseases..sorry I wish I could do more..:(
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #14 
Sivan

He's not bloated but does have a white spot on his belly. OldFishLady was in my other thread and told me to QT and do 25% water changes for the nest few days but I'm afraid he'll be dead before I find out what's wrong. :(

EDIT: Can I add aquarium salt? Even if it won't cure what's wrong with him maybe it will help de-stress him.

Last edited by Sivan; 06-01-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #15 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It is most likely an internal problem.. There's not a lot on slowed breathing, but the main cause seems to be a parasite, ammonia/nitrate, or simply temperature shock. Are you sure it's not shock? There's nothing to do about shock but wait. Some fish can be a lot more sensitive than others.
Pick up some tetra parasite guard. Wal mart should have it..
If you have a fish store you might be able to find Metro+ or Seachem's metronidazole... Tetra parasite guard has the ingredient too.. If you can't find any of those, settle for Epsom salts... There are other medicines with the metronidazole, but they contain ingredients that can be toxic to betta, better not to try...

Edit: don't bother with aquarium salt, it could put uneeded strain on gills. Like I said, Epsom. Wal mart should have pure Epsom, if not any drug store will...
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Olympia; 06-01-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #16 
lelei

Ironically someone just posted the same symptoms, swimming awkwardly..and sinking..looks like your fishy did that..it could be Swim Bladder Disease..I would look it up..heard that AQ salt treatment would work..but not sure what dose..there is a form that you would need to fill out..in regards to temp/type of houseing..and if you cheked the water parameters, but it sounds like that..SBD..I wonder who else might know..do you know anyone else on here with knowledge in fish sicknesses??..I would PM them..I will check on the page whre i saw the form to fill out..
Old 06-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #17 
lelei

Ok..skip the prev post..on the AQ salt..ugghh..told you not good at this thing,.(soo sorry..) I hope your fishy gets better soon:)
Old 06-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #18 
Sivan

He definitely does not have shock. Shock wouldn't last and get worse over 3 days. Would parasite guard be safe to use if he doesn't actually have parasites? I'll go right now to the store if it is!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #19 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Any medicine puts stress on a fish... It will not kill him on it's own... If he doesn't make it, it was probably already too late for him. Medicating fish is difficult because most of the time you're working with unknowns.. For this, we have ruled out everything I know of that could be causing this. Parasites seems like the only possible cause. It's usually better to wait it out, but you know him and you say this seems urgent.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #20 
Sivan

I have Jungle Parasite Clear from last year. It has no expiration date on it. Can I try? I am afraid of overdosing him. They are fizz tablets.